New Hardware that shall I chose?

What do you think about the ASUS VivoMini VC65?

On question #1, how many tracks you have? Does not matter whether on a computer, sonicTransporter, or NAS. The 450,000 track limit for using i5 is across the board.

On question #2, are you just reading the main screen on the General setting? Have you turned the DSP function on? I am not home now to post a screenshot where it is.

Getting two microRendu’s sounds like a great plan! Much better than sonicOrbiter. Better yet, you can have the uRendu powered by a good linear power supply, such as for example UpTone UltraCap LPS-1.

Maybe @agillis can chime in, but you CAN use the sonicTransporter as both Roon Core and Roon Ready Endpoint at the same time. That way, you can skip purchasing one uRendu for one of the DACs. However, if you go that route, my recommendation is to get an ISO Regen (between the sonicTransporter and the DAC) for full galvanic isolation.

I have no idea what that is. My current setup on headphones setup:

Roon Core on sonicTransporter i5 —> Ethernet connected microRendu (powered by sBooster) --> Singxer SU-1 (powered by LPS-1) --> i2s --> Holo Spring L3 KTE --> iFi iCan Pro --> Focal Utopia

For my speakers setup, I have a Bluesound Node 2 serving as Roon Endpoint.

P.S. / Edit: I have an ISO Regen on order to be placed between uRendu and Singxer.

You might want to go back and edit your post to change this 45,000 to 450,000.

Thanks. Noticed that (see my subsequent post).

Editing it now.

1 Like

You could do this but the sound quality would be low. Using something like the regen would improve it a little but nowhere near the quality of the microRendu.

I was talking about “ISO Regen” - the new galvanically isolated product from UpTone. Not the “regular” Regen (Amber).

Having said this, I tend to agree with you. Having a microRendu in the chain is most likely better than connecting the DAC directly to the sonicTransporter, even with the ISO Regen in between. That’s what I have (see my previous post on my chain).

The ISO Regen is very good and will improve the sound from a standard USB port. But not as good as the USB from a microRendu.

Agreed! Better yet, inserting an ISO Regen between the uRendu and the DAC would improve things even more. I have confirmed this with Alex over at Uptone. Maybe overkill, but I am doing it anyway (my ISO Regen has yet to arrive).

To get things a bit further, and if cash is available for @Anders_Strengberg I would suggest using the LPS-1 to power the microRendu.

Given that Roon suggests certain hardware as “supported” and have “worked with Intel”. . what is the risk that a generic NUC that one builds will not work? I am looking at a decent MSI NUC with i7 but it is not a supported unit and the BIOS reqs that are published by roon don’t seem to apply to non-intel NUCs. . .so? Any ideas?

NUC is a branding of a line by Intel. MSI makes totally different models. NUC does not mean “small form-factor computer”.

As for the chances of it working or not, it depends on chipsets they use in the motherboard, as well as what drivers are required for ethernet, sound, usb, etc… I know power management features will be disabled most likely on non-NUCs.

Danny - thanks. . very helpful. I was equating NUC = small form factor computer.

thyname hope you’ll share your impressions.
i have a mr and lps…also considering adding the iso regen between mr and my dac.
some on the iso regen computeraudiophile thought you’d have to buy 2 x lps 1 powersupplies
to best get the galvanic isolation, however…i’m no techie, so have no clue

I will. Once I get it. It is supposed to be shipped on June 21

1 Like

@thyname @j_c
What is your up to now? The UpTone Audio ISO REGEN and USB REGEN and powered by THE JS-2 IS or UltraCap™ LPS-1 also USPCB A>B Adapter that comes in horizontal REGEN position and ‘B’ plug turned 90-degrees for vertical REGEN position!
So ISO REGEN or USB REGEN, shall be connected after the microRendu right? The microRendu is connected with a Ethernet input from the sonicTransporter i5 or i7 (computer) and USB Audio output to the DAC! With a USPCB A>B Adapter or a Sonore USB Adapter, that both comes straight/vertical or turned/twisted 90-degrees! Is The UpTone or Sonore best or a matter of taste? If you have the DAC placed so it works, otherwise is it a USB A-B cable right?

And this ISO REGEN or USB REGEN, between the microRendu and the DAC will it make a such great difference so it’s worth the money? Have you @thyname or @j_c this or tested it?

If I don’t go for the sonicTransporter i5 or i7! Instead get a Nuc or a computer tower (or something like that). Place it in the same area as my router and NAS is!
So can I through my Ethernet system, connects 2 microRendu and eventually connected 2 ISO REGEN or USB REGEN and when my 2 DAC’s?
Because on the Nuc or computer do I installing the Roon Core! That connect the 2 microRendu to my Ethernet system when if I want 2 ISO REGEN or USB REGEN, when my 2 DAC’s what I play Roon on and control the hole setup on my iPad? Is that right and the most important! Will it works :smile:

@Anders_Strengberg

I posted my audio chain above. Post #102.

Yes. The ISO Regen would be placed between the uRendu and my digital interface, the Singxer SU-1, which is before my DAC and connected to my DAC via i2s, far superior to feeding the DAC with USB cable.

In your situation, you would use a USB cable from uRendu to ISO Regen, then the USB hard adapter that comes with ISO to the DAC .

IMPORTANT: do not buy the regular Regen. Buy the ISO Regen. Big difference between the two, and not just the galvanic isolation. The regular Regen is redundant if you have a uRendu, since it has one similar feature (to Regen) built in.

A post was split to a new topic: Which of these 2 QNAPs?

thanks for your imput.

my rig is rather simple and it gets a bit confusing on what to buy (esp on CA when some are considerably more tech savvy with more complex rigs, and are buying 2 x lps power supplies etc)

my rig: 10 yr old laptop (to be replaced soon) using Tidal streaming mostly…
uptone lps1 -> microrendu -> Roon/laptop/Tidal (laptop)-> iFi micro iDSD dac (soon to be upgraded) **
-> can/iems/powered focal alpha 50 desktop speakers
that’s all folks.

my bud did burn for me some 700gb of music onto a small external hd (the WD 'my passport ultra)
…but i hardly use it…mostly by default use Tidal/Roon for streaming music.

right now the ‘www.mysonictransporter.com’ has dropped out and it’s not moving to the next stage
of ‘manage’ with the dropdown menu…i sometimes get this drop out when it goes nowwhere and just times out…and i can’t explore the DSP upsampling as it’s too demanding (shows 1x processing) so the music often drops out.

thus i’m looking towards to a workable alternative that won’t break the bank and still be future proffed for a few yrs…possibly building my own Rock/Nuc via the instructiona above
or buying some turnkey system from Roon, SGC, Elac or wyred 4 sound.
but don’t wish to overbuy as again my rig is pretty simple.

i am considering also the isoregen and possibly ultraregen when released…but again unsure
of what would fit and what would be ‘overkill’ for my simple rig.

Hi @j_c
No it’s not easy to chose the right products especially when you/I have a little budget to spending!
I have tried/testing many products and some with high “quality and price” but I wouldn’t buy them even if I had the money!
Because it’s so much crap on the computer and streaming market, there’s way too many people who try to earn money on products that would cost around the half price instead of that they try to selling them for!
I’m also into a NUC, I talked with a friend who have a computer store, with service and so on…
So he should read about Roon and it’s DSP…
So he would now exactly how much power my NUC would be needed.
So it’s seems that it will work out just fine at last for me :smile:.
I hope that you also get the right and best things for your needs.
Please write and tell me how it goes!
All the best Anders

Hi all at Roon Community.

I remember that someone?
Told me to put my “noice” stuff in a wardrobe for example!
When only have a endpoint and my ifi micro-iUSB3.0 to connect my 2 DAC’s to!
I have changed my laptop I use Fidelizer and the purists setup, so it running anything that Roon! No updates or other things, but it’s needs to cooling down!
I have extra fan under it so it’s little noisier, and properly burning up in the end!
I now that there are USB that you can get up to 50 meters with a LAN/Ethernet cable between! And I can just leave the computer and use my iPad to control Roon with!
Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this on?

L&R