New Hegel H390 Integrated

@Stuart_Rosen : FWIW and YMMV (all the caveats are in place now): I bought the Hegel H390 in September 2019 with the understanding that Roon Ready status was ‘only a couple of months away’.

Fast forward to today: still waiting.

What does that mean in terms of remaining options and audio quality?

1. USB connection from your Roon Core to the USB DAC input on the Hegel: I tried that and didn’t like it. The Hegel is a great amplifier but its DAC is not to my liking (note: I was, perhaps unfairly, comparing it to the Auralic Vega G1)
  2. do the digital conversion outside the Hegel and send (preferably balanced) analog audio to the Hegel. This was by far the preferred solution for me (Roon on a NUC → ethernet → Auralig Vega G1 as Roon endpoint → XLR analog to Hegel

However: as I bought the Hegel to function specifically as Roon endpoint AND DAC, I ended up selling both the Hegel (after waiting for Roon certification for 9 months) and the Auralic and ended up with Devialet Expert Pro amps instead.
To sum up: didn’t like the Hegel DAC as well as I hoped and couldn’t run Roon other than via the inferior airplay protocol => sold Hegel.

2 Likes

@Stuart_Rosen

To answer your questions:

1. The H390 is visible in Roon and shows up as an airplay device and can be used as such.
  2. It supports Spotify connect.

What the data resolution is, am i uncertain about, but expect it will be 24/192, as that is the stated network resolution per now.

@Patrick_Van_Osta
You are not answering the questions, but can agree on the fact that Hegel’s promise for Roon Ready has worn out.
[edit] i see that using USB directly is relevant, so i apologize!

I am not selling my H390, but will not consider Hegel again.
Hegel knows who i am, i bought the H390 in Norway, but did not receive a formal apology both here on the forum or by a letter from Hegel.
Hegel could have posted a formal apology as topic starter addressed to the owners of to be RR devices.
By not doing so, they have lost my credit, thus me as a customer.

But, the H390 is an amazing amplifier so if you like it for what it is, you can consider buying it!

1 Like

This is pretty definitive for me - I turn to another brand. Thanks for all this helpful feedback.

@Stuart_Rosen
The H390 supports Spotify Connect according to their documentation page:
https://support.hegel.com/product-articles/product-comparison-chart#h390

1 Like

So, @Patrick_Van_Osta, if I do connect from my Roon Nucleus to the Hegel, Roon would recognize the Hegel and I would get full 24/192 (or higher) resolution - it would just come down to whether I would be happy with the internal DAC, correct? Really appreciate the help on this.

@Stuart_Rosen : A year ago, I would have said yes. We need outside confirmation of this, now that Roon has moved the goal posts. There is a possibility that Roon no longer ‘recognizes’ devices which are not ‘Roon Ready’ or ‘Roon Tested’, but I don’t know whether that extends to endpoints (using Hegel as an endpoint by running a USB B-2-A cable from the Nucleus).

Thanks - I’ve sent an inquiry to Roon about this - I’ll post what I learn. I will note that I briefly had a Rotel RA-1592 integrated amp - also not Roon-Ready/Tested - and when connected to the Nucleus via USB it detected and controlled the unit perfectly.

How recently was this?

Last week! I took delivery of the 1592, and then on Monday read the press release re: the MK II. Now that I returned that unit, I just want to take full stock of whether anything else might be better while still working with Roon. Hence this Hegel inquiry.

In that case you should be safe with the Hegel via USB also

1 Like

Yes, you can definitely connect the Roon core to the Hegel directly and you will get full resolution. I am doing this with my set-up.

2 Likes

H390 is very quiet, dark background, and very smooth. It’s quite holographic compared to other SS amps. The high-damping factor is great with speakers that demand high current, such as a Magnepan. I have it paired with Magnepan 1.7i. Hegel’s sound has a more laid-back presentation compared to my tube amp. It does everything well but if you’re drawn to a particular aspect of SQ such as holographic-ness or forwardness in presentation, you might find it a bit too “neutral”. I like it because it’s less fatiguing. I can listen to Hegel all day. My tube amp in comparison is something I can only listen to for a couple hours at most.

The internal DAC is good but not as great as my Holo Audio May DAC. You get what you pay for. Also, DS DAC is different fro R2R discrete DAC. So, it’s not a fair comparison. That said, I found the H390’s internal DAC to be quite smooth and natural sounding. If I hadn’t had my May DAC, I’d be quite happy with it. i.e., it’s all relative and how much money you’d like to throw into this bottomless pit. :rofl:

2 Likes

interesting… what is it about your tube amp that limits your listening? is it TOO engaging? Too revealing? Too detailed?

I like the holographic and smooth sound from my tube amp but there is a bit of distortion at the high mid that shifted the sound toward the treble. And my tube amp isn’t as quiet and doesn’t have the dark background that the Hegel has. Also, the Hegel has very good bass control compared to a tube amp. IMHO, the dark background and the laid back presentation of the Hegel are the main reasons for the less fatiguing experience I have with it.

That said. It really depends on your speakers. I have a pair of speakers that just doesn’t like the Hegel.

2 Likes

Agreed - can listen all day to the H390 with all kinds of music, from Chamber to Death Metal. Stellar amp for the money.

1 Like

I use a aurelic g2.1 conected to my h390 a use a pair of kef r11’s just lovin the sound, iv tryed a number of hi end dacs but the hegel is on the mark

And as far as roon, i no its a bit more money but i got myself a innuos mini for roon core and it fantastic also you get the benefit of cd riping

Absolutely @Philip_Towell, the H390 DAC is one of the best delta sigma DAC in that price category I’ve heard. I personally prefer the sound from a well designed and well built R2R discrete DAC. But for a delta-sigma DAC, it sounds fantastic. You can spent a lot of money in a DAC, but the built-in DAC in the H390 is certainly a fantastic value.

3 Likes

I am using a Hegel H390 with the DAC Loop - with a Topping D90 DAC. The Topping D90 is clearly a step up than the Hegel DAC - and the sound opens up substantially more. I feel the amp is clearly very capable - and still awaiting Roon Ready for the streaming after 2 years !!

1 Like

Hi,

I’m considering a purchase of the H390. Would any existing owners chime in on your experiences as of late? Still happy…if so…why? Not happy…if so….why?