New Hegel H390 Integrated

(Sean Flynn) #1

Hi there
Anyone get to try the new Hegel H390 yet, wondering how it sounds and how the DAC module would compare to a stand alone DAC like Qutest or TT2 for instance.
Thanks
Sean

1 Like

I have one and have been extremely impressed so far by the DAC and amp performance, although I can’t comment on those specific Chord products in comparison. Looking forward to their Roon Ready firmware update which is supposedly in alpha testing.

1 Like
(Sean Flynn) #3

Yes it looks a really great amp , it’s getting lots of really good reviews :+1:

(Matt Cuttler) #4

I really love it. I just replaced a Naim Uniti Nova with the H390. But it’s not Roon Ready yet, so I haven’t had a chance to really test out the internal DAC (other than with Airplay and Spotify Connect).

I am a running a Chord M-Scaler + Hugo TT2 into the H390 via the balanced XLR inputs, so using that DAC mostly.

The H390 doesn’t have Airplay 2 yet either.

1 Like
(Sean Flynn) #5

Hi Matt thanks for the reply, please update if possible when you have it Roon ready id be really keen to see what you think of the internal DAC v TT2 with Mscaler , the TT2 + Mscaler is my ultimate DAC set up.
Thanks
Sean

(Matt Cuttler) #6

People keep saying great things about the internal Hegel DACs, but I am having a hard time believing it can be better than the HMS+TT2 combo, which is over $10,000 USD, and more expensive than the H390 itself :slight_smile:

Will definitely run a comparison when the H390 is finally Roon Ready !

1 Like
(Sean Flynn) #7

More money may not always mean better sound, Chord are top notch for sure and id say anything would be hard pressed to surpass that combo imo, you can pay 30k for a DAC in fairness so for me the only way is to listen and test a/b. I d like to hear what you hear after testing.