New Hi-Fi Setup - £5,000 - £7,500 Budget - Thoughts and Comments

is the streamer now Spotify Connect enabled? I know it worked well with Tidal via it’s Volumio interface. Great build quality and a lovely case too.

Hi Roy,
Yes and as well as looking good it also sounds good. It replaced a Naim ND5XS, no regrets.
See attached screen grab for information.

by flexible do you mean it can be MM or MC, or something else?

The Devialet expert essential does the same as the NADM10 & Uniti Atom but without a screen and for at least twice the cost (as far as I can tell but happy to be corrected!). Can anyone give a layman’s explanation as to the benefits? Is it simply that each component e.g. the internal dac, is superior?

Any integrated system does pretty much the same thing to a lesser or greater degree, the typical analogy is a Ford and a Ferrari will both get you from A to B…

1 Like

There was a film recently. Pretty sure the Ford won! :wink:

1 Like

The phono stage on the 140 supports both MM and MC with configurable input level and different RIAA equalisation curves. But it doesn’t offer configurable loading, which phono stage in the 220 and 250 does. If you’re interested in more detail, have a play with the on-line configurator: https://www.devialet.com/en-eu/configurator/advanced.

1 Like

The Devialet amplifiers use a hybrid Class A and Class D output stage which is, as far as I know, unique and more to the point sounds excellent. (Not that I’ve heard the M10 or Uniti Atom to compare.)

1 Like

Thanks - I will have a play for sure!

Not sure where my Hyundai fits in this analogy :smile:

I’ve been using one of these for a couple days. As far as I can tell, it really is “Roon Ready” (but not “Roon Certified”). It seems to work about as well with Roon as two Roon Ready products I’ve used, the Bluesound Node 2i and the Sonore ultraRendu. I’m very impressed so far with the build quality, functionality, and SQ. Hard to find another such product with WiFi + ethernet + USB + I2S, that handles input sample rates at up to DSD 512 (native), with a decent iOS app and Roon-Ready, for ~$3K USD. FWIW, in the AudioScience reviews this is the second highest performing product (after another MA model).

don’t know if this is a good thing :wink: The Roon Ready Promise & the Case of the Bluesound 2i - #129 by Robert_De_Mattei

but the Matrix Audio Element X advice is solid, have listened and played with the Element X but chose the X Sabre Pro MQA as I rather have a dedicated endpoint instead of an AIO.

I’m aware of some of those issues with the Node 2i.
Mine works quite well with Roon (with wired ethernet, anyway). As far as I can tell so far, Matrix Audio’s “Roon Ready” claim is justified. Whether it’s worth ~5x the price of a Node 2i is another question.

I too deliberated between the X Sabre Pro and the Element X. The latter adds about $1K USD to the price of the former.

no problems with bluesound here either, though I haven’t got an “I”. I think they offer lots of quality for the price, especially the powernode with the hypex ncore’s.
Matrix element x and XSP MQA are on another level, but then again I think it’s hard to find competitors for it’s price.

The sky’s the limit with audio component pricing.
At about $550 USD, IMO the Node 2i is one of the best values in HiFi gear. For about a year, I’ve been playing a long game of upgrade whack-a-mole to get a few features the Node 2i lacks (USB I/O, a front panel display, >= DSD128 sample rate processing) without losing Node 2i features (Roon Ready-ness, support for a physical IR remote, a compact form factor, a decent Mac desktop or iOS app). The Element X seems to be the first of several products I’ve tried that checks all those boxes without QC issues (such as noise or failure to maintain/recover the USB connection to an upstream component). It’s less than half the price of a PS Audio DS Senior + ethernet bridge card (which appears to be one of the closest alternatives for what I want). With Matrix Audio products, the wild card may be Chinese service/support across geography/political/language barriers. Fortunately I found a vendor with a 1 year (!) return policy.

I’m resigned, though, to finding “issues” with virtually every modern digital audio product. One reason I’m grateful for this forum!

just to follow up on my original post. I decided to go for seperates (kind of) in the end. Currently pulled the trigger on Gold Note DS-10 (Pre-Amp, DAC, Streamer, Headphone Amp) and PA-10 (power amp). Have had no issues with streaming hi-res over wifi. Seems to work well with roon as an endpoint (although DS-10 comes up as un-certified). Will look to get the phono pre-amp (PH-10) in the next month or 2 to complete my system

1 Like

I have found that they(Matrix audio) are very responsive with support.

Nice! As fellow Rega owner… how is the Aethos?

1 Like

Hi Steven,
Sorry about the late reply, life got in the way…
Yes I remember that interface very well, nice and simple. I got Tidal working great but couldn’t get Spotify Connect working in spite of efforts by the very responsive developer so I returned it. Are you able to do Spotify Connect via the Link or are you streaming from your phone etc. to it? As I say, I really liked the unit and the service from Theo the developer.