New opticalRendu user!

Hi guys. Recently got the optical Rendu and it sounds amazing. I have a custom built power supply (built by Kenneth Lau) to power it. It’s a 7.5 v supply. I’ve heard it’s normal for the Rendu to run warm. Not too hot to touch but warm. I’m assuming this is normal. Just want reassurance as it really sounds wonderful.

Thanks!

1 Like

What did you have prior? MicroRendus also run warm. I’d place a small DC fan nearby to run some low speed air across it. I use acinfinity.com USB fans for this.

1 Like

For my setup I’m using a sonic transporter for my core. The optical Rendu connects to my DAC. The Rendu runs very warm.

From what I’m hearing, running warm is normal. So I think I’m good.

Thanks!

1 Like

My oR runs quite warm as well. I measured ~111F on the surface.

You can take a DC fan and blow a cool stream of air across it. That would cool it significantly. I have two microRendus. They run warm to the touch, but not that hot. Make sure you have adequate clearance space or a fan.

They are designed to run at these temperatures (although lower V power supplies are recommended). No fan is needed, sit back and enjoy the music! If in any doubt, have a word with Sonore. Also they have their own discussion board now, an easy way to speak directly-

1 Like

perfect for me…

1 Like

111F is really too hot. They should not be above warm. A 7v supply will make it run cooler. A 9v supply will run it hotter. A DC fan on low speed circulates air, especially if the area is not well ventilated.

@agillis @Jesus_Rodriguez

Mine was running hotter than comfortable, esp during this last heatwave, (and my other Sonore/Uptone low voltage devices) so I have some AC Infinity USB fans arriving today, one pair for the downstairs server closet and one for the opticalRendu and Sonore PS upstairs. I know they are designed to run that way, but I can’t help but think keeping them cooler might extend their life.

Cooler than Death Valley then… If it’s hotter than spec, have a word with the boys, send it back. Anyway, 8 degrees next Saturday morning in the UK.

You ever been to Death Valley? In August?