New Releases For You already in library?

Okay I checked out this "New Releases for You” feature and I’m a bit underwhelmed -not that feature doesn’t perform as advertised but rather that the recommendations don’t seem to be taking into account the fact many of the recommendations are already in my library?!?!

Now this would be somewhat okay if, when one selects the recording, it showed the item already in my library but no, it shows the item on Tidal?!?!?

Come on guys, that’s an easy one. Please fix.

Are those duplicates really identical? Maybe those are remastered issues of older albums and that’s why considered as different?

The data comes from the streaming services so it links to the new streaming releases. If you already have it then you should see a library icon in the Versions tab.

Hey Ralph – we had some reports of this during testing but we haven’t had a report lately, so I’d like to understand this case. I’m sure we can make this better, but the details will help me understand how hard it will be :slight_smile:

So, the versions of these recommendations that are already in your library – are they local files? Are they identified? (you’ll see little blue “Unidentified” text on the album page if not)

Also, when you click these albums in NRFY, and go to the album page, are you able to navigate to the version from your library via the Versions tab? Meaning, does Roon know you have a version of this album in your library already, or does Roon not realize these are two versions of the same album?

Finally, when you are comparing the library version against the version we are recommending, do they have the same number of tracks? Exact same artist/album name?

Feel free to drop some screenshots but answers to the questions above, and a few examples, will help us figure out why this is happening. And thanks for the feedback!

Okay I found one that fully fits all the criteria outlined above.

Bob Dylan - Travelin’ Thru (Sampler)

Yes it’s a local file.

Yes it is “identified”

Yes my local files are exactly the same as the Tidal version.

No Roon does seem to realize that I already have the album in my library.

Hope this helps.

On a related note about 60% of my music library is JAZZ but the NRFY only recommends about 5% jazz. Again WTF? Doesn’t Roon like jazz? :thinking:

Thanks for the feedback, Ralph.

It’s based on what you listen to, as opposed to what’s in your library.

Maybe you can post a screenshot of what you see when you View All in New Releases For You?

Very similar to the problem jazz and classical listeners face on “track” based methods of “what you listen to” as opposed to an “album” based method. One jazz album can have two tracks but one non-jazz album might have 20+ tracks. Kinda skews the results.

This also applies time of play - 10 jazz tacks = 30 pop tracks

So Team Roon’s challenge is how to overcome this bias.

2 Likes

@andybob - are you saying that unless you have a streaming service then New Releases is not available/useable?

Yes. Firstly Roon has a design policy that it will not display content that cannot be played. Secondly it is my guess that a user licence may be required to display data sourced from a streaming service, but that is just a guess.

Thanks for clarifying, appreciated. But I feel this needs to be stated clearly in the announcements etc. There seems to be a trend recently whereby new features/improvements are announced with the assumption that everyone is using streaming services which is not the case. The New Releases announcement simply says "Vālence lets Roon show you new releases you care about, based on your library and listening history. The more you use Roon, the better the “New Releases” will get! You can also favorite the artists you love to ensure you never miss their latest. I don’t see anything saying unless you have a streaming subscription that New Releases will not be shown to you at all…

I have asked a similar question about Valence here… and maybe you can advise on that too.
The bottom line is I get an email and lots of publicity about this new amazing machine-learning technology, but nowhere in the announcement does it say anything about requiring a subscription to a streaming service.

This also begs the question - If as the announcement says “The secret ingredient is the Roon community; Vālence learns from the musical tastes of over 100,000 expert listeners who use Roon” - then is my listening data being used to construct/tune a system that I receive zero benefit from?

1 Like

I don’t know the answers to your other questions, but I have flagged Roon staff in the other thread. I think these are valid questions for users and will try to ensure they are answered.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.