New Roon Nucleus Devices and Power Outage Durability

Hello,

Just a word of feedback and hope that the next-gen Nucleus devices are more robustly build and not as fragile when it comes to power outages as current Nucleus+. My Nucleus+ has completely failed twice due to brief power outages, even when plugged into a high-end power conditioning and surge protection device (no other devices failed during these outages). There are numerous posts here in the community with users experiencing similar results. Yes, having a UPS device is a belt and suspenders way to protect against this, but sometimes a UPS isn’t practical or feasible in a given implementation. It’s also not unreasonable to expect such a product to withstand basic power outages and not fail.

That is all, thanks for your consideration.

A UPS is always practical when using a computer, I would consider it, in fact, essential. The Nucleus is a standard Intel computer in a different case. Also, the database is held in RAM, any sudden power loss, or failure to correctly shut down the PC can result in database corruption and is another reason I’d consider a UPS essential.

2 Likes

Roons ability to survive an unexpected loss of power has more to do with the software than hardware. This means… Don’t expect the new hardware to behave any different.

Always shutdown properly.
Use a UPS to give you a chance to shutdown properly.
Backup often
Test your backups

1 Like