New ropieee user here with a beginner question

I just installed my ropieee today and I’m very satisfied with it. It’s also my first raspberry pi experience ever. I added the touchscreen which was my primary motivation to get ropiee as I’m about to upgrade to a new dac/streamer which has no display.

In the beginners guide page 44, I can read “If using as a display or using a hardware remote control,
enable the RoPieee extension in Roon Settings → extensions.”

So that makes me think I can use ropiee as just a display while I stream to another device ? This would be the ideal situation for me. In the extensions I only see a mention for the remote control part, nothing about a display.

Can anyone be so kind to explain if using ropiee as a display only is possible and how to achieve that ?

I am sorry the guide isn’t clear.

In short, a display can be programmed to display information from any Roon endpoint, whether the same Raspberry Pi that the display is attached to or any other Roon endpoint (“Roon Control Zone”) in your network. In the Display tab of the RoPieee web gui type the name of the endpoint (as defined in the Roon —> Audio settings) that you want to be shown on the screen of the display.

3 Likes

Thank you, that clarifies it ! I will try this out tonight. The rest of the guide is fantastic by the way. Some companies out there should take an example !

1 Like

Well, I’m all setup and it all works great. My initial idea was to use RoPieee just as a display, but as the streaming module in my DAC is very slow to connect to Roon after each startup, I’m now using RoPieee as the streaming end point, which is then connected to the DAC via USB. Even via WiFi it works great and is very snappy.

I bought a case but I’m not really happy with it, looks kind of plasticky (any recommendations?) … it came with a fan but I removed it because of the extra noise. I suppose no cooling is really required when running RoPieee ? Right now it stabilizes around 52 °C with a room temp of 20 °C.

I’ll be sure to make a well deserved donation on this fantastic freeware.

1 Like

Indeed no cooling required. 52 degrees C is wel between operation limits.

Enjoy!

1 Like

I’ve looked for a better case for mine as well with no luck. Maybe someone can come up with suggestions. The best ones I’ve seen have been homemade. On another note, my Pi’s also ran around 50 C or so which I thought was a little hot. I came across an Akasa Gem Pro case for my Pi 4’s. I use an extended display cable and mount the Pi in the Gem Pro and have dropped the temp by more than 10 degrees. The unit I use with the display now runs at around 37 C.