New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

I’d happily give my money to both. But is Qobuz financially stable? I sure hope so.

I am a fan of Apple Music along with Tidal and Qobuz. I think it will just help with getting HomePods Roon ready and such. Maybe apple can make Roon corner.

I know it’s far-fetched but it will be perfect if Apple Music integrates with Roon. :smiley:

1 Like

I know we are just letting our imaginations run riot here but……

I am firmly embedded in the Apple ecosystem and have been since 2004 but I would not like to see this happen as Apple have progressively dumbed down their software over the years. They seem to add functionality then gradually remove it again or restrict what you can do with it.

3 Likes

Look what happened to Primephonic when Apple acquired it . Apple Classical coming soon ???

Yeah that’s still launching. It’s going to be a separate app though.

1 Like

iRoons coming soon!

4 Likes

But WHEN it was due early 2022, if not late 2021

I hope for Roon’s sake that they can integrate two or more of the big three or four services. If it were only one, I’d be worried about the extent to which they’d be in hock to them.

I’m happy with Qobuz, myself, but I think if more services were compatible Roon may be easier to explain and easier to sell - especially to folks who care more about their music than the gear they use to listen to it.

2 Likes

Slightly off topic, but Apple did the same to a great weather app called Dark Sky.

They bought it, took it off the market and didn’t replace it with anything even half as good.

4 Likes

Hmm, you think so? I’ll bet Apple sell more airpods in day than Roon could attract new users in a decade by integrating Apple music. Why they will ask, do I need to pay another sub and implement a standalone server in order to listen to my bluetooth headphones? And I seriously doubt Roon could get Alexa integration, which would be the game changer for my family.

It could happen, and be nice for many if it did, but I seriously doubt the bluetooth masses are going to come crawling to their door.

1 Like

I don’t think that Roon is ever going to become a mass market product but I do think there’s a certain breed of music geek who doesn’t much care about audio gear (who wouldn’t necessarily look down their nose at folk who somehow manage to enjoy their music over Bluetooth) but who could get value from Roon regardless.

I might be wrong- maybe I’m a bit starry-eyed about Roon…

I think they just wanted it to go away, because it was showing up their in-built iOS weather app. Typical Apple MO.

3 Likes

I have some decent gear, nothing too fancy compared to many here. And I’m just as good listening to my Bluetooth earbuds and headphone as I am listening to my iFi Zen DAC V2.

For me Roon is how it works. And it’s integration with streaming services is excellent. I have Qobuz, Tidal Master and Apple Music at home. And I wouldn’t mind the latter integrated into Roon as well.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t look down on anybody enjoying music any way they want to (just bought my 14 year old a new pair of Sony WH-1000 headphones for his birthday last week that and support his monthly Spotify sub). I just think Roon might have a hard time convincing the powers that be at apple that the numbers could add up to anything convincing for Apple to open up the way they traditionally haven’t. I could well be wrong, and have before.

One issue, and there has been lots of commentary around d this lately, is just how many subscriptions people can deal with. I know if I didn’t get Roon at a $499 lifetime, I might be questioning its value for me. What with Netflix, HBO, Prime, Photoshop/Lightroom, Spotify for the kids, and various others (dropped Apple TV and Hulu for a spell) it all adds up. Not to mention the time needed to actually enjoy them all. And from what I’ve heard the TV streaming services are going to go up in price, considerably. For us musicholics it’s a no-brainer to feed our passion, but for those who just want to enjoy some songs now and then, Roon is a non-starter (and lots of my musician etc friends etc just give me a blank stare if I mention Roon and/or Qobuz). It’s hard to compete with the juggernaut that is Spotify.

4 Likes

Something timely from Darko.

4 Likes

I seriously doubt Roon will be allowed to integrate Apple Music like they do with Qobuz. Why would apple be interested? There is no win for them. Rather if they like Roon and it’s UI they could just buy it, use it as their new music player software and offer it with their subscription for a small price increase. But hey who knows… not me.

Does anyone know which city John moved to?

Berlin, but that was a few years ago, not sure if it changed