New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

It’s not a streaming service so why would you think they would add this?

1 Like

Comments from Enno on possible integrations:

Never say never on Amazon, they are actually talking and it’s not impossible.

Biggest shocker for me:

Apple Music is actually talking to Roon seriously however there are some technical constraints (1 hr 47)

8 Likes

Apple Music would be good for me. I could drop Tidal or Qobuz or both. Apple Music is free from Verizon with my cellular plan. However, I would probably keep all three, just because.

1 Like

Apple on Roon would be killer.

3 Likes

Apple lands on Roon and Danny could buy himself that new yacht he was looking at.

2 Likes

Yeah I have all 3 as well.

They answered my question :grin:

1 Like

I would not read too much into any of that myself. It’s like trusting any OEM to deliver on Roon Ready and we all know what happens there. Until it’s official I would not hold my breath.

4 Likes

Holding your breath for too long can seriously damage your health anyway🙃

2 Likes

I’m sure Roon wants to support every streaming service that makes sense to, and it certainly makes sense to support the largest ones so I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple Music and Amazon get added.

I’m sure Roon would love to support all the major streaming companies, including Spotify (even lossy!), Apple, Amazon, etc. The question is always whether those companies will provide Roon what they need for integration.

I kind of doubt they would sign up a lossy streaming service, but lossless and Hi-Res, yeah.

1 Like

Strongly recommend watching the last five to seven minutes of the audioholics interview with Enno that was posted above. I am guilty of “never” consuming content that I can’t read. I’d be remiss to post a transcript of content that I don’t own. So you should watch it. It’s very helpful as context and more directly addresses some of the questions about majors. The Apple Music answer in particular is not what I’d thought it would be.

Agree @Johnny_Ooooops. Very interesting and somewhat surprising.

Thanks for the push to listen to the last portion. It was far more interesting than I expected it to be.

Theo did a great job interviewing - his knowledge and love for the product leads him to ask the questions that I think many of us would ask. Enno was open and transparent - was very interesting to hear him discuss the constraints that make the various features and partnerships possible or challenging. Glad I watched!

It doesn’t surprise me they have always been in talks with the big players, it’s all if and buts still. The playing side is the part Naim mentioned on their forum when lossless came out and that isn’t particular bespoke engine friendly from their api and why you don’t see it in hardware currently. It has some strong DRM restrictions to. But if the dialog is open never say never which is what Enno said. But we have to take it all with a pinch of salt until they show up. Until they do it’s all sales bluster.

I think that my takeaways from watching the video were that (a) there’s not much sales bluster, more a resigned but highly enthusiastic and optimistic realism about the commercial and technical playing field, and (b) Apple in particular has a level of engagement that is far greater than I would have thought. Now they’re stuck on a specific issue vs. talking about principles is the way I heard it. Perhaps there’s the desire and incentive to get over that issue… and perhaps there isn’t. But the discussion sounds far more advanced than what I ever would have thought. I don’t currently subscribe to Apple Music. But if it could take the place of Tidal in “picking up the pieces for all the recordings I can’t get from Qobuz”, I’d be all over it. Am I holding my breath? NO NO NO. But as a real nice to have, and as a potential way into the product for a lot more users (which would be good for all of us), man I’m far more open minded about it being a someday possibility than I was before (previous to watching that interview I would have put it in the same category as Spotify; it’s clearly in a different category, though I certainly didn’t take away that there’s any forward momentum currently).

1 Like

I didn’t hear much sales bluster and Enno does an admirable job of speaking frankly without expressing negativity or judgement about the other players.

I found the comments about offline Qobuz and Tidal more interesting than the honest but vague comments about new services. Enno talked about contractual restrictions between artists/labels and streaming services. At issue there has to be, among other things, per-play monetization. It’ll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Roon may be accumulating enough sockets to earn a seat at the table.

1 Like

I have Apple Music on 4 month trial and hardly use it but that’s because it’s a pain to get it to any Hifi gear except my M11 Plus. It’s catalogue is much wider than Qobuz I have to admit as it has some titles I don’t own digitally and are now very expensive to buy 2nd hand. Not sure I would move from Qobuz though as I. know they do pay more to artists and I can buy stuff and get a discount. If i just streamed only it would be a good proposition and it obviously has a lot of customers already so an incentive to Roon but not sure really how many would come to Roon as most real enthusiasts are likely using Qobuz or Tidal as that can easily get into your Hifi system . Not sure the AirPods bridge would really be bothered with Roon.

1 Like

Just curious, does Apple Music have as much high res content as Qobuz?