New User - Naim 1st Gen Muso - I don't get it!

:flushed:

Installed for the trial period yesterday…but there are few things I just don’t get…

The Core server is all up & running and the various clients can “see” the server.

What I don’t get is why when using the Roon iOS client (or Windows) it defaults to AirPlay for the Naim Muso and therefore (I assume) down-mixes (down-samples?) to 16-bit.

But if I use the Naim app to find hi-res tracks on my server using e.g. Asset UPnP, it plays direct without any reduction in bit depth etc.

What am I missing?

Muso is not roon ready…
It only allows airplay and 16bit is the limitation of airplay…

Well, that’s a simple (but disappointing!) answer! :astonished:

Is the Uniti Atom “Roon Ready”?

Thanks!

The 1st gen. Muso isn’t Roon ready, but has AirPlay. All the current Naim range is Roon ready, including the Atom.

Miso 2nd gen and Atom are both Roon ready. I know because I have both. I use self assembled NUC as the core and with a tetrabyte hd it holds most of my recorded music. Works like a treat, controlled by Roon app on my phone and iPad .

See if you can find a copy of the discontinued ChromeCast Audio. It is Roon Ready. I am using it with my Muso 1 and it’s a lot cheaper than buying an Atom.

Oooohhhh, plug it into the side USB and stream to that? Better than AirPlay in terms of down sampling etc?

Or did I mean the 3.5mm socket?!? :blush:

I think the usb on CCA is to provide power only. I think you will need a mini-toslink to toslink optical cable to get the highest bitrate from CCA to Muso.

You did… CCA has combo 3.5mm analogue and optical.

Hope you can find one!

1 Like

Thanks! Better to use the optical input?

Yes. Optical input will use the Muso DAC, rather than the CCA DAC.

2 Likes

Got it - thanks!

How good is the Mu-so Qb gen 1 DAC ? I play Roon through a WiiM Pro and connect to the digital input of the Mu-So Qb using its internal DAC since I heard the internal DAC of the WiiM Pro was not great.

I have been considering using the WiiM Pro in another room. Would using a streamer with a better integrated DAC e.g. WiiM Pro Plus connected to analog input of the Mu-So Qb make any difference ?

The Mu-so Qb is a little convenience all-in-one. Its DAC is appropriate and the Qb is a great little thing for what it is, but any limitations that it has are due to the Qb’s physical nature and not the DAC.

1 Like

For me the strengths of the QB are that its a single, versatile box that just does everything. Does the Wiim really sound that much better than using Roon via AirPlay?
As an alternative to a more expensive addon for Roon, you could trade (or repurpose) the Wiim and the QB for a QB2. Apart from having Roon support built in, it’s quite a large redesign and not only the DAC is improved over the Mk1.

If you really want a step up in sound quality I would be looking at a proper stereo setup with a pair of speakers. With Naim that starts with an Atom, but of course there is a whole world of alternatives out there.

1 Like

Probably not. I think the MuSo (like many similar devices, including some of Naim’s slightly more esoteric offerings… ) digitises the analogue inputs before feeding it to the internal DAC anyway.

It might sound different, and you might prefer it - it happens - but probably not better.

1 Like

Thanks, that makes sense.

Interesting. Thanks.

Since it’s based on the same platform as the larger Mu-so and even has much in common with Uniti, I’d even guess that its DAC is much more capable than the physical build lets it show. As great as the little cube is