New Vanessa Fernandez album in DSD 512 download

Apparently it is the first available DSD 512 download: https://groovenote.nativedsd.com/albums/GRV1200-i-want-you

1 Like

Well, kind of. It says it was transferred from 30ips tape to a DSD64 master. Then they are creating versions up to DSD512 as “re-modulations of the original DSD 64 encoding modulation that produced the DSD 64 releases. The sonic advantage to these new Stereo DSD 128, DSD 256, and DSD 512 releases, as with all higher DSD bit rate releases, is the wider frequency passband prior to the onset of modulation noise. This results in the listener’s DAC using gentler and more phase linear filters for playback of the music.” (That’s on the “tech specs” page for this release.)

Query whether this is mathematically any different than what Roon is doing when it remodulates DSD64 up to DSD512, and whether one could derive the same benefits, such as they are, just using Roon and the original DSD64 files.

Certainly an interesting market development, regardless of the source material – thanks for posting!

When I see “DSD 128, DSD 256 and DSD 512 Download Files Created by Tom Caulfield at the NativeDSD Mastering Lab”, I wonder if these were created using HQPlayer, the Pro version?

Have I guessed right @jussi_laako ?

Sure. The fact that this was done with the help of Signalyst was written before this information was deleted. Now they write that they get DSD512 from the DXD master which provides them with a record label. Pyramix DSD editing equipment allows you to get maximum DSD256.

I bought a single track from Vanessa’s album in DSD512 just as an exercise to see if my DAC would play it. It did (Denafrips Ares II), but that single song was 1.3GB’s :crazy_face: Boy, that means the entire album is going to be about 15GB’s!