New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

The reason I asked was there were a spate of issues a while ago, a bit like the Zen Stream.
I take it that it works perfectly for you?

Works perfectly. I purchased the Pre Box first and then the Stream Box. The only issue I ever had was when setting it up together the first time. Something in Stream Box settings was wrong; I can’t remember which right now. Since then, no issues. I just hope they continue to support the Pre Box.

1 Like

OK Great to hear that.
They seem to make some very nice kit

Another core and server update today—935. Roon is awaiting the app stores to approve the remotes and they should be released anon. No Bridge update. Also checked the ZS for betas and nothing yet.

3 Likes

Hello! New ZS beta posted today, 2.31.8, that purports to fix the MQA LED colors that have been mentioned to be wonky on this thread. I’ll get back with any updates on performance, thanks!

Note—once installed it’s necessary to go back into the Device Settings in Roon and change back to USB and DSD Native. Even if you set the device to USB in the ZS GUI, you still have to set it again in Roon. All appears to be working great so far…

Update: Something is fixed! Before the update, if I left the first software unfold on in Roon’s audio settings, I was never able to get a blue MQA Studio light—it was always magenta (MQB or OFS). Now, if I leave the software first unfold active in the audio settings, it still detects that my DAC is a full decoder and the MQA Studio blue light shows up (meaning that it is bypassing the first unfold and letting my DAC handle it all). My DAC also shows the stream is MQA Studio. Then if I turn on DSPs (such as a PEQ), Roon automatically reverts to the first unfold and maintains provenance throughout. Nifty!

3 Likes

Any progress with persistence of Volume Mixer setting for DACs connected via USB or are they still being lost when you turn DAC off and on again?

I keep my DAC on fixed volume and control it with my amp, so I’ll have to defer to others here if and when they install the latest firmware. The issue was not mentioned in the brief release notes that popped up when I installed it, only the MQA LED light issue was mentioned.

Mine is on Device volume and changed on the DAC sorry

2 Likes

Are you on the new beta?

I am on the first live/last beta version.
I will look for a new beta update tonight

Ah of course the problem with leaving the Stream in Roon only mode is that you cannot easily do this update. Just updated and thanks Steven for the heads up even if I missed it today :wink:
Updated now and back in Roon only mode.

2 Likes

So now you always get the Blue light on the ZS and MQA. on the DAC, even when Roon is core decoding?

Well for starters I have a full decoder DAC, as I believe you do as well?

If I set the audio parameters in Roon for my device to be both a core decoder and a renderer, and set the MQA software first unfold setting to “on”, if I play back a file with no DSPs I get MQA Studio signals on both the ZS (blue) and my Topping DAC (MQA.)”.

If I turn on DSPs of any kind with this same configuration, Roon still maintains the MQA authentication throughout the signal path, but the light on the ZS is Magenta for OFS/MQB, and my DAC says OFS as well.

Before the upgrade, I had to turn off the software unfold setting to get the MQA studio blue light and signal on my DAC. Make sense?

You mean on the ZS?

That sounds about right.

Does the ZS still show DSD 512/Error in Roon’s settings?

On mine that is gone as below

1 Like

I mean in the audio settings for the ZS in Roon, under advanced settings

Now if we can just get them to support what the connected DAC does (in my case DSD 512/PCM 768). Doesn’t make sense for a streamer to determine that instead of the DAC.

If I’m not mistaken the MQA capabilities setting takes precedence over the core decoder setting so if Roon doesn’t need it’s core decoder to complete playback (i.e. no volume leveling or convolution filters) then the DAC should handle MQA entirely (full decoding) even if Roon’s core decoder setting is on. If Roon needs to do core decoding then the DAC would just do rendering. This is assuming MQA capabilities is set to Decoder and renderer. If set to Render only then Roon should always do core decoding.

1 Like

I know of very few if any streamers that support greater than PCM 384 or DSD 256, from what I understand due to ASIO limitations. Are you aware of any?

According to iFi in the past it was to offer quality of Audio output. Maybe it can go higher than it is now, but it’s good enough for me :grin:
Hopefully for you they can increase this