New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Do you mean when you have DSPs active you get magenta and OFS? Otherwise with Studio you should have blue on the ZS and “MQA.” on the Topping, right?

Yes, I get magenta on the ZS and OFS on the DAC.

Things of note:
Authentication (MQA Studio appears under it - this would appear on the DAC as MQA. if the DAC was handling all unfolds)
MQA core decoder (Roon is doing the decoding instead of the DAC)
Convolution filter (this is my HAF filter; I’m also doing vol leveling as indicated in the step before this one)

Notice: Bit depth conversion w/restore (this is Roon adding back the MQA signalling that it found above so the DAC can finish the full decoding with the render step)

This is what should happen but I haven’t actually tested this since getting the ZS. A few months ago (before I bought a ZS) I started using HAF filters so I need Roon to perform core decoding. Prior to that I had Roon’s core decoding off and my DAC was performing full MQA decoding (with MQA. showing on the DAC).

Clear as mud right?

3 Likes

Got it. Lol. While we’re at it Roon’s algorithms in this regard are pretty nifty, I must say.

1 Like

From the reviews I’ve read online, the ones that have been repeated the most are that the software is slow and buggy with interface issues, DSD playback issues, no gapless playback, connection issues with iOS devices. On the plus side, sound quality is good, solid build quality, feels premium, no plastic.

I’m going to read up on it some more. Always good to have choices and they make good products.

Gapless playback works flawlessly.

I’d have set it on fire if it didn’t.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for confirming that. That’s important. What’s your experience with the software?

I was able to configure one and update the firmware.

I don’t do anything with the software. I set it to the mode I’m using and walked away.

In that usage, it has been solid.

2 Likes

This is all good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Many of us mainly use it for Room (and some HQPlayer like @MamaTried) and for those things it is now and always has been a great little device.

There have in the last year been issues with other services like Spotify, Tidal connect and Airplay.
These seem to have been fixed by Oct/Nov last year and generally things have been stable since.
Finally got Roon Ready done and I am using mine in Roon only mode now.
Never had an issue with DSD though so that could just be my use case.

Best not to mention the MQA saga at all :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I’ve experienced none of those issues, especially with the latest firmware. The journey with bugginess has already been memorialized on this thread. Given the vast number of configurations being attempted out there you’re bound to find complaints for any gear as folks try to achieve their aims. IFi released this one a bit prematurely but they’ve been very responsive to user feedback. As things stand at present, I think the grumbles have simmered down, and the unit is working better than I ever could have expected it to. It’s a steal at $399 for what it offers.

5 Likes

It’s likely not happy with gapless when used in UPnP mode and not using Roon. Roon core handles gapless not the endpoints in a Roon eco system.

I have a Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 as well and have been very happy with it. It’s in my my living room home theater setup. I now I have two Roon endpoints there; the Matrix Audio and Oppo UDP-203 which I mainly use for movies.

1 Like

That is a very good start, I really like the MA as it has been the most painless music device I have owned, since finding Roon. Now if only MA supported Chromecast it would be close to perfect. I use it as a Headphone amp now and it just works perfectly.

I have Zen in my study where I spend a fair amount of time, and I am very happy with that as well, though the first several months were painful for things other than Roon and HQP, since late last year I have never had an issue with it, besides iFi’s capabilities to over promise and deliver late or beta software. What @Steven_Klemow wrote was 100% accurate in my experience.

I have been building up my RR collection and I am now up to 4 with the Bluesound PowerNode 2i and my newly purchase Aram SA30 which is in my living Room driving the main listening system there.

2 Likes

I have a NUC Rock in my home office/listening room. This is where I do a lot of my Roon listening through my Project Stream Box S2 Ultra and Pre Box S2 Digital combo.

1 Like

Is that USB out of your NUC?
It’s a nice combination as well

I have the Oppo as well, which I use as an SACD transport for my Topping DAC, via IIS—I purchased an IIS hardware mod from Oppomod’s website. I also upgraded the Oppo’s power supply and PCM board.

However, the Matrix and the ZS are totally different beasts—the ZS is one of the few streamer-only options out there with such premium performance and modest price point. If I didn’t already have an ES9038pro-based DAC, I’d definitely consider the Matrix mini option. Right now I only have a desktop headphone audiophile setup, and use Sonos’ ecosystem for my home audio. If ever opt for a proper floor speaker Hifi setup, Matrix Audio will be top of my list for an integrated DAC/streamer component.

One thing for sure, I’ll never consider anything other than a delta sigma DAC again, and I won’t pay more than $700-800 either (for just a DAC). The prices being asked for DACs and streamers from supposedly “TOTL” brands are utterly shocking, and options such as the Matrix and ZS prove that there’s nothing to be gained from paying more.

1 Like

I tend to agree with you, but I believe as long as you can afford it and still feed the family then have a go.
Before buying the Arcam I was looking at loads of options around Streamers, Dacs and Amps before eventually deciding that I wanted an all in one Class A or AB Streaming amp as I have never had one.

Rotel was at the top of my list to be driven by the MA through XLR, but I kept finding more and more good 2CH amps being reviewed and it was driving me crazy.
But a week in and I feel like I made a good decision and as I am planning on it being a long term thing I am pretty happy with it and the sound.
The breadth of choice on the market now is crazy and so many Roon options, but some of the prices are very high.
I have never owned an SACD player and own no SACD’s so I think I missed out on that market all together.

1 Like

Amps, preamps, DSPs and headphones are a totally different discussion. We’ve achieved a level of accuracy and performance with modern delta sigma DACs where differences among them are beyond the range of human hearing, and if they’re doing their job right they all should sound the same—ie they should be resolving the digital file into the closest approximation of the original master possible. And that’s why I bristle at prices for devices that are intended as “pure” DACs, which is what I opted for. But for DACs designed as part of multifunction components that have preamps, amps or other circuitry that can influence the sound signature, my statement obviously doesn’t apply.

Same with components that aren’t only pure “streamers”. I opted for a system comprised of discrete components—a dedicated streamer, DAC, amp, and Roon for DSPs. If I go for another system in another room, the Matrix is an appealing option for a streamer/DAC combo. It’s reasonably priced, and built around a solid DA chip with exceptional measurements.

1 Like

It was for a short time after I got the Stream Box. Now, I have the NUC tucked away out of sight in my media cabinet.

1 Like

Oh, yes. I agree. When I have time, I want to compare my Project Stream Box S2 Ultra to the ZS. The Project is at a higher price point and I’m wondering if it’s worth it compared to the ZS.