New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Yes, I use the ifi Zen stream with a high end USB cable with my A14 MKII. As you know the USB supports USB Audio Class 2 (up to 32-bit/384kHz) which is better than the SPIDF and I also think that the SQ is much better via USB. It works great; no issues at all. The Ifi stream is a bit finicky to setup for USB but if you follow the instructions here in the forum you shouldn’t have any issues after an initial setup.

2 Likes

Awesome! I’m going to make an order for the Zen Stream then! Do you have a link to those instructions by chance? Thanks!

2 Likes

If you need more pls ask

3 Likes

I also have the Zen Stream paired with the Signature V2. It is connected to a Hegel H120 via balanced outputs. I’m very happy with the sound signature so far and the operation with Roon (I use a NUC) has been flawless so far. Not one single issue in more than six months. Good timber and tonal balance, relaxed, non-fatiguing sound, a bit more laid back compared to the Hegel H120 internal streaming/dac. How do you find yours?

1. Mine works flawlessly with USB out. It remembers the connection whenever I power cycle it. Conversely, with SPDIF I have to go back to device settings in Roon each time I power cycle the Zen Stream to click on save again (although it still shows SPDIF), otherwise there’s no sound. This behaviour has been reported by many on Head-fi.
  2. Never had any buzz or any other issue with the Zen Stream. Rock solid for over one year now. Only use ethernet.

I think the trick was to leave it in AIO mode and then go into Roon and change the setting for the ifi stream under “audio” to USB. The critical thing is that you click on “device info” which is not obvious. Don’t use the gear icon.

2 Likes

I’m using balanced to a Benchmark LA4 that goes in to a NAD C 298. The Signature is the upgrade from the usual Zen Dac V2. Using roon USB from core I did favour a CA 200M in front of the Zen Dac v2. Then I moved to Zen Stream and 200M was sharper and maybe felt faster but Zen Dac was a bit more robust in covering all the frequencies. Then I moved to HQP upsampling to DSD and the Zen Dac v2 outperformed 200M clearly (maybe not if using PCM). Zen Stream added depth and now Zen Dac v2 Signature sounds like better handles for sound, a clearer outline… the sound is the same but better limits like in the sea of sounds I can better see individual waves…
I’m using exactly the wording and descriptions that I do not like reading :roll_eyes:
The price tag of ZS plus Zen Dac Signture as NAA plus 48k Dac it’s out of this audiophile rambling and maybe a better argument. To jump to better the $$ are a bit too much for me at this moment and I’m not convinced the difference it is going to be day and night. Maybe the only option for not so much added $ and with just a touch of better specs is the Neo Stream.

1 Like

Nice share Traian, glad to see that the signature is really performing for you…

I guess the Stream and Zen DAC 2 Signature edition are a little over half the price of the Neo and you are losing PCM768 and DSD512 Which your Mac cannot deliver. Sounds like you have got to a good place (for now :grin:)

1 Like

Yes, just need that couple of elite powers :slight_smile:

Yes, if I would pay for Neo I should listen to it first. I think the benefits are not going to be that big, For sure no more ADSM7ECv2 if 512 so that would lead to another computer. A lot of $ for a small upgrade.
Maybe at the end of the year I’ll look for another dac so the m1>ZS>ZDv2 Signature looks like a good training :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are we talking about invisibility, flying and walking through walls here, or am I on the wrong forum again :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

:rofl:
why not, batman did it (and other famous people)

I should train myself to save for some speakers

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Nice description. I also have the feeling that a real upgrade, given my amp-speakers combo, would cost a lot of money and wouldn’t be night and day. Maybe I’m wrong. As to the Neo, I’d probably go for it if I wouldn’t have the Zen+Signature V2 combo. As I’m also using Ipower X for both units and a USB AQ Carbon USB cable, the whole thing is about 1000 Euros, not so far from the Neo price. And, again, the upgrade is likely to be marginal as far as SQ goes.

1 Like

Same.

As the usb I have a Oyaide but I did like the one on the box better. Maybe the iFi mercury will get on the upgrade list

1 Like

Just digressing a litlle off topic, one thing that puzzles me about the IFI signature V2 is the scarcity of reviews you’d find online, especially as a stand-alone DAC. It is in starck contrast with the number of reviews (and hype) attracted by the likes of SMSL and Topping, despite the fact that such companies release a new product every week or so. I wonder whether this is because the V2 is not considered to be a very good product or if there’s other more pressing factors related to the way the hifi market works. Any time I watch a review of a new DAC below the 500-800 USD price tag I ask myself “would this be an upgrade to my system?”, but then I can’t find any comparisons with the V2 and end up thinking “maybe just a marginal one, if any”. Cheers

2 Likes

Might be a combination of reasons. It is just a version of the Zen Dac v2 and with no headphones. It is still a desktop Dac, SMSL and Topping are hype (due to good measurements). Also if I was going thru the process that is showed on this thread I would not think so highly of the iFi. I was lucky to get my ZS a couple of moths ago and between order and delivery to have time to read this thread.
I used to spend a good amount of time on YouTube and reviews. Starting September I did trade that for this forum. A lot more music recommendations, people sharing experience with various systems and more than once better arguments when it comes to gear (and now as a HQP user YT or reviews are just too few and with no real knowledge)

1 Like

I am pondering on changing my iPower PSU that came with the Zen Stream to the Ifi Elite PSU. I want to check with the community if anyone went that route and if the differences were clearly discernable and if yes, what seemed to improve in terms of sound quality? Thanks all

Made exactly that route once - great improvement.

Quick update. The Farad Super3 (9V) with Level 1 Farad DC cable sounds amazing with the ZenStream. Equal in magnitude above the Elite as the improvement of going from the iPower to the Elite. Combined with the Curious Evolved USB (Roon w/ HQP) I’m getting comparable sound quality to the Aurender N100H.

3 Likes

To clarify, the Farad brought improved dimensionality and ease.

One of my reference tracks is the DSD (SACD) version of Ride Across The River by Dire Straits.

Wow. Almost a hallucination with the Farad.

2 Likes

What’s your complete setup like?