New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Well, I had it installed from day 1. IFi have just commented on the Head-fi forum that they’ve had to pull it from the App stores. The comment is below.

Drunkenmunkey

Sponsor: iFi audio

Thanks! Yes, there will be. We had to pull it at launch and are basically revamping it with user feedback!

I’ll give an update when we have a date it will be out there on Play and Apple app stores.

2 Likes

I never ever even saw it on the app store so they must have yanked it PDQ!

Will keep an eye out for the revamped version.
:+1:

1 Like

Stephen I had mine day one and the only information on the documentation refers to the web server.
Not that I have needed an app so far but it will be interesting to see what it offers

1 Like

Meant to ask earlier as can’t remember but are you using the iFi power supply that came with the Stream or something else?
My new one came with a 9vdc again but at least it appears to be working correctly and is holding good steady voltage.

I am using the 12v (I think) that shipped with it.
My understanding is that this is a very good switched mode power supply in itself.
I use the 5v models with my Pi’s and also my Zen DAC and have had no complaints so far

1 Like

Got my second one yesterday and it came with a 12v iPower. Set up via Web page no problem. Set the first one up via the app that they’ve now pulled. Found it useful for checking for firmware updates on the go.

2 Likes

Stephen now that will make it worthwhile

Thanks for that information, it could do with push notifications in that case.
I will keep an eye out for it.

I didn’t see many other uses besides setting up the WiFi

1 Like

It seemed to have its own radio and music streamer built in but I never investigated them for obvious reasons! It was definitely a work in progress!

2 Likes

Can share a photo of the power adapter? I don’t think iFi bundles their iPower adapter anymore

Not sure why I need to prove it but this is what was in the box from yesterday. Looks like an iPower to me!

3 Likes

Yes it’s the same one I have.
Based on a previous conversation here, there seems to be a shortage of that model.
Hence some people getting the lower power model.
It’s all the premium components that make this such great value

1 Like

Did not know that, just checked and mine is that model albeit 9vdc and 2a.

1 Like

The great technology shortage of 2021 :smile_cat:
They must have kept the good stuff for the good people… What can I say :rofl:

2 Likes

Some unscrupulous retailers may be pilfering the iPower adapter to sell separately. If you buy the ZEN Stream from an authorized dealer, the iPower will be included. If not, I’d suggest requesting a return or exchange immediately.

1 Like

Ouch that seems a little harsh!
But I guess if you can swap a $150 wall wart for a $20 model then you can make a lot of money if you sell enough of them.

@AceRimmer was your box opened in any way?

This latest one I got appeared to be untouched and sealed however…

The first one I got that turned into a brick did look like it had been opened before I received it, think I mentioned that way back when?

2 Likes

You did mention it
:+1:

1 Like

When I received mine, it was not shrink-wrapped and the power adapter has no iFi logo or sticker on it. It is a cheap looking power adapter. Haiz. Requesting for a return and refund.

2 Likes

This is a short response, to as far as I’m concerned, the device of the year! My set consisted of; Dynaudio Special Forty’s on Dynaudio Stand 20, Hegel H390 and the BlueSound Node 2i I play Tidal via Roon to the Node 2i as an endpoint, then with coax to the DAC of the H390. Heard recently on roughly equal set the Auralic Aries G1, this sounded a lot better, so save. Week ago I saw a comparison ifi Zen Stream vs BlueSound Node 2i on YouTube, link posted at the bottom! Given the comments ‘under’ this video I have taken the risk of a flatter to purchase this streamer cost only € 399.00, now after about 30 hours of listening I am totally stunned, this does not sound better, as the really not bad Node 2i, but very much better! Very is expressed in this marginally, what a difference in image,stage, etc… Am not to advertise the Zen Stream but this just can not be true, the difference is far too big to mention the purchase amount. Recommend each …

3 Likes

Not sure he was asking you to prove it but it seems he was concerned he did not receive the correct PS.
Which by all accounts he did not if he did not get a genuine iFi PS.

As yours was a new purchase I think they just wanted to know/ see what you received so they knew if they were being unfairly treated in this matter.

1 Like