New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Nice setup there.
I really think the Hegel look good and glad to see you are enjoying the setup.

2 Likes

Nice to see so many new iFi Zen users!! Been gone for a bit and figured Iā€™d check back in, Some nice setups!! I am definitely going to check into this PS issue, as both DS and myself brought this up earlier in the thread, as well as on Head-fi.

Oh, In regards to the ā€œAppā€ donā€™t sweat it, really in total itā€™s pretty much the same thing as ifi.local. just in an app form. Yes I still have it as I was an early buyer of the Zen Stream, Think mine was delivered the day after Launch if I remember.

Cheers!!

3 Likes

Found another update again this morning. More than the usual number of changes.
Still no Chromecast support.

Update required powering off and restarting to take affect, so keep this in mind after you have waited 20 minutes

2 Likes

i updated this morning and after the update it restarted itself and needed no manual intervention on my part, so all good here.

1 Like

Good news, and so far it has been quite random if it reboots or not.
I think that part could do with some work.

All I can say is that this device once paired to a linear PSU sounds like a $2000+ streamerā€¦

4 Likes

That is one thing I wanted to try but would need to buy one as I have two 5vdc lps and one 16vdc lps but nothing in the required range for the Zen.
Probably a 12vdc lps should be the ideal voltage I feel.

1 Like

Hi guys! I am checking back in after a while. I am also planning on a LPS. The Zen stream will work from 9V through 15V! So it should work equally well on all voltages? Am planning to get a Keces P8 which will power my Chord Qutest + Zen Stream and a possible future purchase. (Lumin U1 Mini with external power mod) Just wondering which voltage to get.

Nicholas I would suggest 12v as that is what iFi are putting in most boxes, but it sounds like it is not that important as many are getting a 9v power supply.

2 Likes

I upgraded to a 9V iFi iPower X adapter (~$109) when I found that the included 9V adapter was defective (only outputting ~5.5V). Iā€™d be surprised (astonished?) if the ZEN Stream performs significantly better with an LPS.

2 Likes

Iā€™m considering a 12v iFi power X after a bit of research.
Might be best way to go.

3 Likes

Very happy chappy.
Just ā€œstoleā€ an open box item 12v/2.0a on ebay for $43ā€¦ :innocent:

1 Like

Anyone having issues connecting to thru airplay? I just received mine today and at first room would play showing ifi as a player but now it wonā€™t show up, wonā€™t show up for apple music, spotify, nothing. Rebooted it and still nothing. Iā€™m using ā€œ1ā€ on the dial in the backā€¦WTF? Out of nowhere music just started playing on my system thru spotify! I have no idea whatā€™s going on with this thing, stil wonā€™t show up in roon but playing on spotify somehow.

Aaron log on to the ifi.local webpage and update the firmware and turn off the services you donā€™t need.
I donā€™t use Airplay and have it disabled.

I did update firmware. Iā€™ll try to select only the ones I use, which is AirPlay considered?

It will randomly work on my iPad sometimes and then disappears again and doesnā€™t show as an option. Itā€™s so infuriating

Possibly a bad power supply? Check with a multimeter if you have one handy. Needs to be stable and between 9 and 15 volts

1 Like

best to check under load if you canā€¦this is where many p/s issue get found.

Aaron itā€™s called Shairport on Volumio which is what the Zen Stream uses.
And agree with the previous 2 devices, there looks to have been some dodgy practices around the power supplies with a number of people not getting what they paid for.

In general, I agree. However, the 9V iPower that was included with my ZEN Stream was measuring between 5.5V and 6.3V with no load. From the thread on Head-Fi, lots of folks received power adapters that were similarly defective. As far as I know, iFi Audio has sent replacement adapters to everyone affected who as asked.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. I did drop the Shairport and other formats and still issues. I got it to work on my iPad thru apple music but then it will drop the signal (but stays powered on). On my laptop it wonā€™t even connect at all and then it wonā€™t show up unless you reboot the unit.

Iā€™ll check the power supply, itā€™s the original iPower unit, so it wasnā€™t swapped.