New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Hi Israel good to hear about your experience, except the power supply, seems like there was a real shortage of the good ones.
Sounds like you are well covered with your LPSU already though.

Rather worrying that these PSU are being swapped out. Ifi need to sort this out and quick or its really going to harm them. Obviously some very dodgy dealers and resellers out there. Here in the UK you can at least buy direct which I have for all their stuff this far.

2 Likes

Yes sadly it is a common story particularly from the US.
There could be issues at the factories as well as suppliers taking out a $150 item out of the packaging, but it is not a good image for iFi.
Though it is an excellent product and great value especially if you get all the parts you should get.

1 Like

You tried 15Vā€¦ with 12v, what is the SQ (I have 12v LPS not 15ā€¦).
Thx

1 Like

I found when I am on 12V itā€™s more laid back but 15V itā€™s more energetic and in your face. Itā€™s just me I donā€™t want to get back fired by others. Cheers!

1 Like

Something new to share! With CAS all your gears in the chain counts and plays an important part on the overall sound quality. I replaced my Roon Core sever with an Innuos ZenMini MK3 and got night and day difference in sound quality. Both library files and streaming feels so clean and dynamic! Itā€™s probably because I went away from the MacBookPro and also fed it with my linear power supply. The Zen stream is singing at yet another level guys. The Zen stream is truly a beast! Do not hesitate if you are considering getting one!

2 Likes

Hi Nicholas thanks for sharing your feedback.
We are fairly open to your comments here as we have multiple users with LPSU that have been very happy with them. There is little judgement in this group (so far).

I have not tried the ZenMini but I have heard good things about itā€™s sound, though many people have said that it is very under powered as a Roon server. Are you using it as a Roon Server?

1 Like

Curious about the 12v vs the 15v, my unit came the 15v but I decided to try the 12v ipower x to see if thereā€™s much of a difference, still in the mail, hopefully, Iā€™ll find out this week. Nicholas, are you using a PSU where you can change the voltages or trying out different switching power supplies? Apologies if youā€™ve mentioned it somewhere earlier in the thread.

As an update on my ethernet experience, I can say that after doing some a/b comparisons the ethernet does sound better than wifi, not by a lot, but there is some added definition to the sound that is noticeable. I know some of you have mentioned that the type of ethernet cable should not make much of a difference for the ZS, Iā€™m currently using a CAT6 I pulled from my cable bin, but curiosity got the better of me and I tracked down a CAT8 22awg cable by Linkup at a very reasonable price. Based on some of the amazon reviews it holds its own with the best audiophile cables (ie: AQ diamond/vodka etc). So for a fraction of the price and amazon return policy, I canā€™t see why not try it out - will report back on that at some point. Cheers.

4 Likes

Using 12v now from an HD Plex LPS. May try 15v to see if I can hear any difference. Things sound great and are rock solid - Iā€™m a bit gun shy about messing with things this early in my listening.

2 Likes

Very trueā€¦old sayingā€¦
If it ainā€™t broke donā€™t fix it!

Pity I never listen to my own adviceā€¦or learn to leave well alone! :frowning:

1 Like

Yes indeed I am still on my first day so I am not sure how stable it is. Letā€™s hope the new Innuos 2 os will make it stable and does it thing! But sound quality wise itā€™s superb,

2 Likes

I stand corrected. I initially thought a Topping P50 LPSU would sound betterā€¦bitbof research and it turns out that P50 has 1milivolt noise rating but the included iPower is 1 microvolt noise. I didnā€™t bother checking earlier but upon hearing bothā€¦I prefer the IFI iPower over the P50 LPSU. Mine is a 9V iPower btwā€¦really no need to upgrade, my faith in SMPSUs is restored!

4 Likes

I just added the zen stream to my Hegel H120, streaming Roon via Coax. This was replacing direct Roon stream from a Mac mini via USB. The difference is incredible, a big step up in clarity vs a sound I was already very happy with.

7 Likes

Mike a nice setup you have there.
I think the H120 is a lovely device and glad to hear it is working so well with the stream.

Itā€™s on my shortlist (along with several others) to look at, are you controlling volume digitally or with the Hegel remote?

Thanks Michael. Iā€™m using the Hegel remote for volume. The one thing I miss with the zen stream is the ability to use the play controls on the Hegel remote. That worked really well with the Mac mini via Roon, but I havenā€™t found a way to do that with the zen yet.

Sorry to keep harping on this guys, but could you please confirm what the status of the lights is when youā€™re connected over ethernet? I have white 80-90% of the time with the intermittent green. Now for some reason, I thought that white is the fastest and green is fast, but looking at the ā€œmanualā€ again (may have been revised) I see that white represents fast internet, and green represents fast local network. Theyā€™re both indicators of a fast connection!

George sorry I am traveling at the moment, but I thought it was on the help page. Iā€™m fairly sure mine is always solid white for high fast internet.

Has anyone else seem anything different?

Thanks Mike for your reply.
I am torn between class AB for the amp quality and streamers with class D amplification.
I also have a Matrix Audio Mini I-Pro 3 which can feed either a Hegel or another AB amp via XLR . Not too worried about the volume but it would be nice to be able to drive it via Roon.

I got it cleared up with support, green essentially means a drop in the internet connection, the router itself is fast (green), but thereā€™s no internet. Fast internet = white, fast local network = green, so in this case, green is bad lol. Iā€™m not sure how my internet sucks as Iā€™ve never had issues with it before, maybe Iā€™ll try another homeā€™s internet before making any conclusions on the unit being defective.

2 Likes

Itā€™s perfectly possibly to drive the volume via Roon. I do use that option sometimes but generally prefer the remote. I typically leave the roon volume at 100%, so itā€™s easy to adjust down from there through the app.

1 Like