New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Is anyone running the stream with a powerline adapter?

Does it work?

Do you like it?

Noisy?

I did try it with a powerline adapter as where I was going to use it that was only option or WiFi.

It worked perfectly.

Hard to say if it was " noisy" as had nothing to reference it against but I would say it was absolutely fine.

1 Like

Thanks for that Mike :+1:

1 Like

Hi MIke - can you say more what settings you use to enable volume control via Roon? I get all or nothing. Thanks.

For those wondering about ā€œoptimumā€ power supply voltage to the Zen. I got a cheap, generic PSU in the box rather than the promised iFi. I contacted IFi and they shipped a propper PSU - 12v.

Iā€™m using 12v now with a linear PSU and it sounds great. I could experiment with 15v, but given Ifiā€™s seeming endorsement of 12v, Iā€™m not going to mess with things.

If anyone is game to experiment with 12 v. 15v, please share what you hear. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Israel, Iā€™ve asked ifi support what the best i power x PSU is out of the compatible ones and was advised that I should look at either the 12v or the 15v, 12v being ā€œdown the middleā€, or the 15v being potentially ā€œmore efficientā€. My unit came with a 15v and a 12v i power x arrived today, so Iā€™ll provide an update over the weekend on the sound differences, if any. Itā€™s interesting that the 9v was not recommended, I tried the 9v i power x over amazon and ended up returning it, to me it was as if the sound output was lower than what I was used to with the 15v, the unit itself was practically cool to the touch too.

EDIT:

It didnā€™t take me long to determine which voltage I preferred, the 15v that came with the unit to my ears sounds better than the 12v I power x which came off a bit flat and 2D. Again, this is just for my system so take it for what itā€™s worth, but Iā€™d like to echo that the 15v did sound more lively/open.

1 Like

Israel - youā€™re right. Iā€™ve realised that this is another option which does not work as well as the Mac/usb connection. It is however possible to use DSP volume in Roon, set by default to full volume. Then you can adjust using the amp, but also reduce if needed using Roon.

@Israel_Smith Iā€™ve noticed that iFi have just released an app for the stream. Iā€™ll have a play with that.

1 Like

Mike do you have a link to the App on either platform?

on the android google play store itā€™s called ā€œifi streamerā€

2 Likes

Yes same name on apple store. I just had a very painful half hour trying to get it to work, managed to mess up my current connection and eventually gave up. It doesnā€™t seem to have been properly tested. Avoid.

1 Like

Thanks guys, nothing on Android in the UK.
And this web app in the Apple App Store, is that what you used?

Yes thatā€™s the one.

1 Like

Thanks Mike that looks exactly the the web interface. I thought that they were building a new ground up app

I finally got a replacement unit and everything is working great, finally.

iFi seems to not be ready for the demand or to handle customer service either, so hope you donā€™t need tech support or a replacement ever. Iā€™m happy now but damn that was an ordeal.

1 Like

Glad to hear it was sorted for you.
Between component shortages and high demand, it has been a challenge for iFi.
Now where is the promised Chromecast support :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just tried 15v - nice step up. Smoother, even more open and resolving. Also seems to run a bit warmer. I plan to stay at 15v for a good while.

1 Like

My streamer is a RPi4 with VitOs connected to a Gustard X16, I am very happy with the sound and performance. Will there be a significant improvement if I switch to a Zen Stream?!

1 Like

I came from a Vitos setup into my Zen DAC and saw a good improvement.

I think @David_Snyder was using it into a Gustard X16 so he can probably give you better advice on that.

1 Like

Thanks @Michael_Harris I have read that it is an excellent device. Letā€™s wait for @David_Snyder 's comments.

1 Like