New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Nope Amazon doesnt support HD on Chromecast. Also you would need Android to use Chromecast as iOS app will default to Airplay.

So just so I’m clear when I stream from my mac to the Zen still no HD right? even though it says it is am I correct?

Asking cuz thats not IOS right? lol details, details…lol

Edit.: BTW I hate the term HD so I’m going to stop using it, Amazon started that crap,…lol

Apple considers “lossless” 16/44.1 or 24/44.1. They consider greater than that “Hi-Resolution Lossless”. You will get lossless. You will not get Hi-Resolution Lossless unless you plug your device directly into the DAC via a cable.

Edit: and 16/44.1 is generally considered “CD quality” or “redbook” and anything above that is mostly accepted as Hi-Res. The fuzziness is 16/48 or 24/44.1 which may help with the math but doesn’t really contain all that much more “music”.

1 Like

On the Mac Amazon music will set the streaming rate based on what your midi sound settings are set to in system preferences so basd on its sound card or external DAC, the OS will resample for Airplay still anyway. In all cases via Airplay you will never get higher than 44 1/16 unless Apple change it entirely

1 Like

Thanks for sharing until recently I had the same dac as well so your findings are super helpful

1 Like

I wouldn’t buy this product. Value is not there at all. Way to expensive. Price is so close to the well and improved Node (bluesound). People would be crazy or a big fanboi of IFI to buy this product. O yea I have lots of stuff from IFI really enjoy IFI tweaks and power/USB/ac adaptors ect.

2 Likes

I think it was only recently that the Node enabled some USB function is that correct?

And frankly why have that opinion not having heard it? I mean that’s like me saying I won’t buy something because it’s too close in price to my Schiit Bifrost 2, and something cant possibly be better than that!!

Sorry but you came in a little off So I’m just wondering why you would do that? For instance I have plenty of dac’s and streamers…Never gave the bluesong a thought, but I don’t crap on it!

5 Likes

Thanks for That, I appreciate it! I knew at some point I had listened to Amazon’s “HD” it must have been when I had My Gustard Connected USB to the Mac Mini! lol

Likely but even then their app doesnt really support exclusive mode properly so would not rate switch or be bit perfect. It’s a very flawed service that very few devices allow playback at the true hires. It’s just a tick box for them really that’s got very poor implementation. The windows app has exclusive mode selection now but it doesn’t work at all.

1 Like

We good job I rarely use an iDevice in that case to play music from.

I have not looked at Amazon music in a while but I thought it could Chromecast when I did. But I think it was only 256KB at that time.

1 Like

Yep that’s all you get know. I asked thier support a month or so back and they said it doesnt support HD streams.

1 Like

Thanks for that, maybe that’s because their App isn’t very good. It wasn’t when I last used it. Chromecast handle’s it with ease, even if they limited to CD quality.

I don’t either, it’s even the rarity that I stream anything other than Controlling Roon, I personally do not like the idea of Bluetooth either but I guess I’m open to anything that sounds good, which is why I questioned the amazon thing. Reason is I happened to put on Tool’s Undertow, in supposed ultra HD or whatever, and Honestly it sounded as good as anything I’d heard streaming yet, so I was intrigued!

2 Likes

Well Tool’s Fear Inoculum will probably be my first test album’s streamed from Roon at 24/94 :grin:

Bluetooth away from Apple can be pretty good these days with AptX HD etc, but I prefer to offload it like you do so my phone is just a controller

2 Likes

Damn yep, you are right on the Tool album, In the mood for a little Chocolate Chip Trip!! :laughing:

Right after I’m done with this Glenn Miller Orchestra Stream!! LMAO, I am weird!!

1 Like

Louis I am Streaming it now as we head to penalties in the football.
First outright country album I have listened to in a long time so a :+1:t2: for you, especially when covering Cash so nicely.
I used to listen to quite a lot of Country when I worked in Houston but that was 25 years ago when Garth Brooks was in his prime
Like a bit of Bluesgrass every now and then, mostly in the form Alison Krauss

1 Like

Thanks so much, I appreciate the compliment!!

Cheers!!

1 Like

Would not purchase Ifi products because of two reasons, 1) there is no ground connection to drain the inevitable ground noise, 2) So far, in none of the products I have purchased, they delivered as stated. The only product in use today is a iPower 5 volt DC switched power supply, powering my Terminator skull’s two eye LED’s. That it does well, but then it is not one heck of a challange …

Personally I cannot understand the Ifi hype, honestly see no substance, just ordinary basic technology marketed as if Einstein resurrected and gave Ifi R&D a push … apologize if I offended anyone …

3 Likes

Stefan I have no issue with a negative comments in this feed.
I started it to generate some discussion, as I was thinking of buying one.
Well I have just had one delivered and I am still happy to hear comments from all sides, if I do not like or enjoy it I will return it.
I have several of the iPower suplies for my Pi’s and Zen Dac and I have been happy with what I have used so far. This is a (relatively) low cost item in the Roon ready world and I am hoping more will come along as well and generate some decent competition at the lower end .

So having had this delivered and played with it for half an hour I can confirm that Roon works out of the box for me as well. It’s not identified as the correct device so I assume that and default settings might come when certified.

I have only listened to a few tracks but it sounds very good. I will do more listening this evening.

Looks nice as a stack as well.

11 Likes