New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

That is what they said, but there it is, and has been like that out of the box, lol

1 Like

Thank you Louis, I think I might be ordering one of these later this week :wink:
Definitely interested in your thoughts on sound quality

Working on that today, although I will be honest I have got an inner ear infection on the right side, to many years of wearing in ear monitors, so speakers will be on tap for these test, at least for the next couple days!

In the meantime Here is a bunch of screenshots from almost all of the sources I have access to at the moment, showing how the Ifi connects and in some cases quality, hope they are helpful, and I apologize in advance for the shamless self promotion but, I had to compare what I know best! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks Louis is that a band you are in or associated with?

Mostly a Metal and Rock fan but I will make the effort and have a listen.

Michael, Yes that is my album, lol

I am a metal guy myself, but I realistically like just about everything, my motto is if itā€™s a good song itā€™s a good song it doesnā€™t matter who does it! In fact every song on that album has a guitar tone inspired by Michael Poulson from Volbeat! Anyway I do not benefit from streaming of the album as I donate all of it to Wounded Warrior Project, so in a way all who listen Donate! I am now retired as Medical issues have put to rest that portion of my life, Enjoy it, hope you find something you like on it!!

Early impressions of the Zen Stream in direct relation to Roon users is That i"m not seeing any downside as of yet, Nothing but positives from this guy so far!

Cheers!!

4 Likes

Thanks for that I will give it a listen this evening or tomorrow. I really appreciate your extended feedback

EDIT: As for now you just made me check it out on Amazonā€¦ so I will stream it on the Stream tomorrow evening.

2 Likes

Well I really hope you enjoy it, as I said itā€™s doing everything itā€™s supposed to and doing it well!

Iā€™m going to try to do some distance listening with it tonight after I get done with other stuff!

Cheers, and thanks for the listen!

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bonus then. How you playing Amazon, airplay ?

I am also very keen. Any view on USB audio out sq vs something like Allo pi USB Sig?

Yes, Airplay, I think, lmao

Lets put it this way I am usually a connect it kinda If it can use a wire I wanna use a wire! Hope thats understandable, I just think 9 times out of 10 it sounds better! So I went to see about using Amazon as I am on a free trial for four months, to compare quality. Anyway, my phone and my Mac Mini both had the option to stream to the iFi using The Airplay & Bluetooth tab so I tried and it worked beautifully!

I am here to say Amazon HD thru that connection currently using the Zen Stream sounds very good, And yes I am surprised by that!

Hope that helps,

Cheers!!

I Currently have 3 Piā€™s One with a digione, and One with a Pi2AES, I have not gotten to the latter yet.

Streaming to my BF2 this morning using both USB, and Spdif, I would not have been able to tell you which was the Pi or Zen using USB to me there was no perceivable difference.

Spdif on the other hand had a slight difference to the Zen being a bit meatier than the Allo Digione. But both were very good!

Hope that helps,

Cheers!!

Edit: for clarity, I was again Using my Schiit Bifrost 2, and damn near evrything you feed that thing USB wise sounds good, so please factor that into what I said!

3 Likes

Thanks for the comparison.

I might have to get one then.

1 Like

But you wonā€™t get HD as airplay can only do 44 1/16 the apps lying to you as your using Airplay and shows what the iOS device is capable of.

1 Like

I honestly have no hope for Amazon True HD anywhere easy anytime soon. Just see it as they will keep it within their ecosystem until itā€™s not worth it, lol, Just my 2 cents.

So in the above screenshot, itā€™s not actually playing at 24/44.1 is that correct?

So just some initial Feelings as to the Zen stream vs. Pi2AES using Roon of courseā€¦

I used the Spdif out on both for this, Into my SMSL M500. I again hate to be nuetral but they are both very good, if anything I would give a slight very very slight edge to the Zen and thats only because it seemed to be presenting a little wider soundstage, with a more focused center image., No I have no idea how, Iā€™m just relaying my feelings, so go easyā€¦LMAO

If the Pi2AES has an edge here itā€™s on the BNC/Spdif out, that seemed to have a bit more to the crisp high end than the zenā€¦ but that may be because I was getting up n down, n up, n downā€¦lol

Cheers!!

1 Like

I saw Chromecast on the coming soon as well, which sort of makes it the perfect streamer for the price

1 Like

You know what would make it really perfect?! If I could actually use amazon HD/Ultra HD BS :joy:

That way maybe I could Dump one of these streaming Music services! And buy some damn Booze!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would hope that you will be able to once Chromecast is available.
Chromecast audio (from memory) supports 24/96. Does Amazon support high resolution on Chromecast audio?

With Roon, Chromecast (Pex and YouTube m8), Tidal connect (and AirPlay which I almost never use) it tickā€™s almost every box I would need.
Hopefully arriving tomorrow and I am quite excited now

1 Like

Yes I believe you are correct in Chromecast. Maybe Roon could pick it up but I have no hopes for that at all, lol

Iā€™ve sort of stopped my testing for today, long story I am just listening and enjoying! I must say the Combo of Zen to M500 is very very good!

You know how it is, sometimes thereā€™s just those two or pieces of equipment where magic happens!

1 Like

Thatā€™s correct. On iOS the max the phone can do is 48/24 and thatā€™s what the app will limit itself to so in this case it will be streaming 44.1/24 but when airplayed this is converted to 44.1/16 as it doesnā€™t support higher than that. This wonā€™t be reported back to the app so itā€™s showing you the rate it believes itā€™s streaming at.