New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Yep
Says latest firmware
Ethernet only, Roon saw it instantly but as soon as usb connected, boom it’s gone.
Perplexing as nothing to change that I can see

Can’t imagine it would impact it at all, but are you using and DSP to upscale?
What are you feeding it into.

I actually think I might have a faulty unit.
I powered it down, pulled power out, waited, plugged power back in and it won’t even light up now.

Ouch that’s never good, sorry to hear that.
I would say give it a kick, but maybe it’s too early for that :see_no_evil:

Already requested a replacement as while power was on tried the factory reset button on the back and that did nothing either so its now a cute little brick…lol

Or an ugly little brick, depending on your viewpoint
Hopefully you will get a replacement soon

2 Likes

Lifetime Roon is included with the Elac Discovery. That is a $700 value that the iFi Zen does not have.

After deeper thought I think this was already a prior return.
Nothing was wrapped in plastic as normal with new and only the 110v adapter was inside for the iFi PS.
All bits like the antenna and the red plastic screwdriver were all just loose.

I think I got screwed…lol

1 Like

Mine come with the one adaptor. I don’t think they’re supplying all the different ends like you’d get if you bought the power supply on it’s own.
Which USB port are you using. You have to use the bottom one of the two, that is the USB output.

1 Like

I wondered on the PS and thought that might be the case.
I was using the bottom port (A) .
All irrelevant right now as it is a brick and no google search reveals any tricks for resuscitation!

Sorry to hear that mate. You should give it another chance cos it’s very good.

2 Likes

I fully intend to, I have requested a replacement.
A little disappointed but stuff happens.

My ZEN Stream finally arrived today. I had some time to type up my thoughts; overall I’m delighted that I now have an easy-to-recommend network bridge for my non-technical friends. I may even buy another one for myself. :wink:

https://blog.dsnyder.ws-e.com/index.php/2021/07/08/zen-for-streaming/

5 Likes

Bummer. I wonder if just the iPower 9V is faulty.

Another possibility is that you accidentally swapped power cables and have been using a different power adapter than the one that came with the ZEN Stream. The iPower 9V that came with my old micro iUSB3.0 is a 1.5A model, but the one that came with the ZEN Stream is 9V, 2A. May be worth double-checking if you have not already. Good luck!

1 Like

What an excellent review, thanks for taking the time. It would be great, if you have the time and inclination, to know how it fares on wi-fi.

2 Likes

David I managed to to that myself, already having two of the 5v power supplies in use.
I didn’t think Kevin had any though.
They do look exactly the same

I will have a read of your review later as well thanks

David a good and balanced review so thanks for taking the time to write that.

In the UK the quick start instructions do tell you to use the bottom USB port, so there might be some early inconsistency with devices around the world. My instructions never mentioned a fixed IP address either, only ifi.local

There is also a built-in firmware update tool in the web portal which I tried before putting it in Roon only mode. Yho8in the future I may switch it to the all kn one when Chromecast support arrives.
I imagine the USB C one maybe for recovery in case something goes wrong, but that is just a guess.

1 Like

Only have the one iFi PS and it measure 9.31vdc at the tip.
I did also notice that the unit when power is applied is very hot, way too hot imho so I am thinking quite possibly some internal power problem.

So over on HeadFi there is another example of exactly same problem I have from a long standing member.
And then one where they have to hold power on button for 30 seconds to power up.
That was cured by them with a 9v LPs.
It is possible faulty iFi PS?
I will try an adjustable lps tonight after work just to see.

2 Likes

In fact the more I think about it a faulty PS does fit the bill as it first fell down when I connected the USB which is a 5v draw.
And they say it needs a good 2a so…