New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Well hopefully they will replace the PSU if it is that as it is a pretty expensive power supply, if not LPSU expensive. Fingers crossed for your test

If it turns out to be just the iFi PS I will then reach out to iFi support and ask them to replace just that.
Pity work gets in the way of play.
And yes working already, one leg works just fine to shout at people!
:grin::grin:

1 Like

At your age you should just be sitting back relaxing and listening to the music (I will be).
But then something has to pay for the new toys and the new music and feed the animals :joy_cat:

2 Likes

So they are shipping with roon bridge already installed?

1 Like

Yes many of us have confirmed Roon working out of the box. Looks like it might need tweaking for Roon ready certification, but workā€™s perfectly already

3 Likes

Iā€™m successfully using a Curious 20mm link going into a Singxer USB bridge converting to I2S into a Denafrips Terminator. My first outing with an Ethernet streamer running Roon. Very impressed!
Now do I go nuts and get an UpTone Audio EtherREGEN switch, then an external clock?

2 Likes

Yep Thatā€™s me bro!! Been over there since yesterday trying to resolve some power issues for others!
The power units that The Zen ships with are all over the place in terms of voltage, On head-fi ivā€™e seen pics of 9v,12v,15v, to me that is very strange you would think they would all be the same.

I have confirmed after testing different things all day that if you are going to run your own PS 12v seems to be the sweet spot in terms of power on to use, and overall temp after long period on being on. 85 F is the highest I have measured.

Also One more thing, and I know allot of people donā€™t read prior posts! Please pass on that the best way to set this up is go wired first, then enable the wifi from within the ifi.local page, period end of story.

Also the two (eyeā€™s of the robot) lights on the front can be accidentally rendered off by an errant button push on the right while setting up wifi instead of Wired first! I have gone thru several cycles today where those two lights never lighted at all during power up to ready state, because of that button.

The power light is the one right to the right of the power button, the other two are irrelevant to any power issue. if the power light is on the unit has power. I do not know how to solve the issue of some not seeing the ifi.local page when the unit does indeed have power, I can only suggest hunting down the actual ip address of the unit if the power light is on.

Hope this helps someone, !!

Cheers!!

3 Likes

No leave it alone, it sounds great just like it isā€¦ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ā€¦ As if right!!!

If my week long use tells you anything I cannot say for one second I am hearing any difference wired or wifi! and have not had one hiccup or studder, even using DSD files! I should say if there is I perhaps have not invested in close enough listening, lol

Cheers!!

2 Likes

Truly canā€™t believe they are shipping with vastly different voltage PS.
From your tests it would seem the 9v which is at bottom of itā€™s range appears to be problematic.

I thought I had a spare lps but itā€™s only a fixed 5v unit so not much use.

Depending what I think on the sq of the next one I might go for a 12v lps.
Unless it comes with a 12v iFi PS of course.

1 Like

I would love a curiosity question if I mayā€¦

When you got yours did it seemā€¦normal?? packaging wise?? Was it sealed?? Was everything packaged properly?

I ask because I have another person with a power supply issue, and heā€™s stating to me privately that the box looked ā€œopenedā€ so I hope that someone is not doing a swap of PS units somewhere, I know crazy but they arenā€™t exactly ā€œcheapā€ power supplies! :joy:

1 Like

I did say earlier in this thread that mine did not look as I would expect for brand new.
Nothing was wrapped in plastic or neat little ties around cables etc.
Not what I expected tbh.
The antenna, PS prong, red screwdriver were all just loose in the box.

1 Like

Mine did not seem terribly sealed. The box did not have the typical clear plastic wrap that iFi products come with. I was just able to slide off the cardboard sleeve without cutting anything away. Inside the box, the ZEN Stream was in a translucent bag, but the power supply was just in the white cardboard box with a twist-tie on its cord.

Iā€™m having odd problems with the provided 9V, 2A iPower adapter as well. I can only stream for 2-3 hours with the supplied adapter before the unit freezes. When itā€™s in that state, itā€™s not reachable on the network. It also started making a strange whistling sound, which seemed to come from the back of the ZEN Stream rather than from the iPower. Hereā€™s a recording:

Itā€™s loud enough that I can hear it from across the room. Some kind of strange oscillation.

Iā€™ve switched to using the iFi Audio iPower 9V, 1.5A adapter that came with my old micro iUSB3.0. While itā€™s down from spec by 500mA, it seems to be working reliably so far. No noise either. Iā€™ve also purchased an iPower X 9V, 2.5A supply. Should be in tomorrow.

When I measure the iPower 9V, 2A adapter that came with the ZEN Stream, Iā€™m reading 6.3V DC and 51mV AC at 60 Hz. Something is definitely not right. Iā€™ve registered the product and opened a ticket with iFi support.

So far, Iā€™m loving the ZEN Stream, but the power adapter it came with kind-of sinks!

2 Likes

Something definitely not right with the latest batch then as a few instances now reported.

I guess itā€™s possible that a suspect PS may have prevented boot up and possibly corrupted something.

Will have to be very careful with the next one.
However it should not be up to the consumer to fix iFi audio PS issues!!

2 Likes

That is extremely interesting, so that would make 3 of us with seemingly not properly boxed ā€œnewā€ units!

This is something that needs to be addressed immediately, perhaps if we get a few more people in on this and a vendor or supplier seems to be the same we may be onto something!

I showed my power issue over in the Headfi forum as I was trying to help others. Mine you have to hold the power button for it to come on. I have not had any issues once it did, but after todays tests and what you just posted I am glad I moved to another PS when I did, something is not right here!

2 Likes

I have a 12V iFi iPower adapter that Iā€™m not using anymore. I may give that a try also since the back of the ZEN Stream indicates that anything from 9V/1.8A to 15V/0.8A will work.

Pretty sure mine came with the 12v but canā€™t check for the moment

1 Like

@Michael_Harris

Is DLNA gapless?

Both of my units came with a 12v power supply and both have been working fine.

1 Like

12V power as indicated is one thing but you have to measure it with the iFi as a load to determine if indeed itā€™s stable at 12V under load. Ganesanā€™s shipped with 12V too but we didnā€™t measure the output.

1 Like