New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Sorry I have not tried DLNA, I have gone straight to Roon only mode.
I am away now for a while as well so I cannot even try it.
Hopefully some other kind soul on the thread can test that.

Does make you wonder if there is a shortage at manufacturing. The ipower devices all look exactly the same and I ended up plugging one of my 5v devices in and wondered why it did not turn it on :flushed:

1 Like

Mine came with 9v ps. I swapped iFi Power X 9v/2.5a from my Singxer SU-6 into streamer.
My Zen runs warm never hot.

3 Likes

If you could give me an example of how to check this for you I can probably try!

Not sure I ever had to use it, but thereā€™s enough stuff around her right now to make me wanna set a fire!! So tell me what to use and Iā€™ll give it a go if I can!

1 Like

If you have a UPnP / DLNA media server on your PC, NAS or whatever using an app like BubbleUPnP select DLNA streaming mode on the iFi, play a live album, an opera or a Zappa album and tell me if it plays without gaps.

Thank you.

Has anyone plugged a hard drive into it yet? How does that work?

1 Like

Only a small 128gb USB thumb drive so far, worked just perfect, I had DSD files on there I needed to verify for someone.

Was trying to get to a larger drive and have even asked but got no answer as to size limitations.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Ok so I have a mac, the only windows item I have is my Roon core which is a mini PC

Would Audirvana, be considered a Media Server? Sorry not so good at the parts were getting into.

I can say this I listen to a ton of Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, and some live stuff, Everything Iā€™ve done is gapless so far, But help me out and I will get you a solid answer!

Thanks for the feedback. Did you need mconnect, etc, or use itā€™s own web interface for control?

I used itā€™s own interface, Until we get that ā€œforthcomingā€ app, I think I have read enough people say M connect is way better, and I would presume they are correct.

I have no need for M connect, and the built in app worked flawlessly for me on both my iPhone, and Mac, just reminds me of Volumio, welā€¦ because it is, :joy:

Cheers

1 Like

Also are you referring to local stored media, or streaming services?

I broke out my Android tablet and installed Bubble, learning it now, lol

1 Like

Hello

I got my ifi Zen Stream this week and I think it sounds really good. Iā€™m using the Digital Coax out going into a Schiit Gungnir.

Roon, Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect worked without any issues.

But when I use the software/browser interface ifi.local and I try to play a track from a USB Stick, then I get the error message saying: The sound card is not available, please try later.
When I try to play a Radiostation it says it is playing the radio but itā€™s actually not playing the radio.
Maybe itā€™s just me but with the included software I canā€™t get any sound of the device.

Here is what I can tell you, I downloaded Bubble, accessed my tidal account, and set it up to stream to the Zen Streamā€¦

Sounded very good, here are some screenshots of my old ass android tablet, lol

It played gapless no issues from tidal, so I assume it would work for local media the same way, but i have not tested that yetā€¦

3 Likes

I will try to check it in a few moments, with the coax running to My BF2,

You donā€™t perhaps have a usb connected to the ZS at the same time do you?

I believe one cancels the other out or something like that

1 Like

Ok hereā€™s what I can tell you quick off the Cuff, All I did was plug in my USB with an album on it, Went into the interface, music library, opened the folder, and started playing the album with both A usb and a Spdif connected. I got now sound from the Spdif, it defaulted to the USB.

After removing the USB it streamed the album out to the BF2 on Spdif with no issues, in fact itā€™s playing as I type!

I suggest maybe a full power of reboot, or a reset of the music library possibly in the settings menu of the Ifi app.

Cheers!!

1 Like

The USB stick with Music and the Coax cable is the only I/O connected. I can browse the albums and tracks but when I hit Play it says the sound card is not available. Which sounds weird to me. What sound card? :smile:

Another weird thing just happened. I started an album on Roon, which triggers the online radio station to start (edit: in the ifi software). When I stopped the Roon Album, the radio station stopped in the ifi software.
Then I tried to start the radio using the ifi software and it didnā€™t play without giving an error message. Just no soundā€¦

1 Like

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

1 Like

OMG, ya that one right there is way out of my wheelhouse!!

Sorry I couldnā€™t help more, but Iā€™m sure someone way smarter than me can help on this. My suggestion of is go into settings of the app, and do a first config over again.

When I first got mine I screwed up something, and it wasnā€™t working right, so I just factory reset the dang thing, :grin: :laughing:

1 Like

No problem, Is that what you needed to know?

Yes, if I was unable to use roon for any reason.

1 Like