Newbie with only basic computer literacy considering purchasing roon

Thanks R_Neal … yes, I think the no new equipment, try the free trial approach is what I will do.

3 Likes

If I did as you suggest and the CXN played happily with everything how would I actually be controlling playback? … The Cambridge Android remote control app? Is that part of the “Roon Ready” thing? … or a Roon remote control app? … Or could the setup be configured to use either? … Or both?

You will need to download and install the Roon Remote app for whatever device you’re going to use to control everything - phone, tablet, or computer (if it’s a computer that is not your core, the full Roon software package will function as the remote).

https://roonlabs.com/downloads

These guides are more of a danger than anything else. Among others, they recommend you update the BIOS of your NUC. Which is utter nonsense and not necessary at all. In fact, it can brick your new NUC.

1 Like

I usually use the Roon app, on my phone. But I’ve also got an iPad with the Roon app on it. The app, whereever you have it installed, will find the Core, so long as they’re both on the same network. And you can put the app on your phone, your iPad, Fire tablets, etc. You can also use the UI on the laptop or PC to control it.

So in terms of functionality of the CXN streamer would the Roon remote control app (I’ll be using Android phone) look after switching of input devices etc as the Camebridge app currently does?

In the Roon world, there is only one input device: Roon. Everything goes through Roon.

1 Like

CXN V2 needs to be on the latest firmware release to run as Roon Endpoint and connected via Ethernet - or Wifi if its supported.

Roon will I think override any existing playback input when you start it playing to the CXN. you would need to use the CXN app to change it back to something other than Roon

Thanks Mr Fix It … I’ll check the firmware …

… this makes sense … thanks for your input.