No option to browse files by folder structure (ref#4QV72A)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Interface & Usability

Description of Issue

There is no option to browse my files by folder structure-like every other music player I have used in my life… Due to the nature of my music, i.e. I am an artist and producer so my files are my own and do not have any usable meta data, Roon is un-useable for my purpose. Sorry but I will need to cancel my trial if there is no solution here…

Roon Server Platform

Windows

Roon Server Specifications

Meets Roon required specs

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi v3b

Home Network Details

hard wired ethernet with business-class managed switch

Better cancel then as it’s the one firm no go for Roon.

1 Like

Roon functionality is metadata based - if it’s not practicable to add metadata to your files, it’s maybe the wrong tool for the job. Programs like mp3tag will automatically add metadata based on path/filename/etc, but that may still not be what you want. If you decide to try it, test on a few copy files first!

I’m pretty sure I know, but why is it such a firm no-go for Roon to add this basic and useful functionality?

I guess because for the use case Roon (the company) designed Roon (software) for, folder browsing is not all that useful. The idea is that the location iof music files is (almost) irrelevant and all browsing is done based on metadata (either yours or from Valence). Doing folder browsing goes against it, so if you are dealing with files of your own music that Valence does not know anything about, and can not tag them, Roon may not be a fitting tool for the job.

Right, I knew it was not technical. Just wanted more insight on the “ideological / philosophical” reasons why Roon is so adamant about not providing this basic and useful functionality…

If you search the older threads on the topic you will find some DEV comments on the “why”. Try limiting your search to posts prior to 1-1-2017.

Ok will do. Thank you for the quick answers everyone.

So… Looks like I may need to spend some time editing meta tags so I can use Roon. After testing, I am hearing some improvement over Volumio. In short, to use an audiophile term, it’s more “musical” ha ha. To expound on that I’m hearing more 3D and solid images, better space retrieval, and extra subtle details.

What do you mean by this?

Artist, Album, Track, Genre etc. my files are blank. I get to them by folder/file name organization using Volumio.

Well pardon the comment but if your music is never to be shared I can understand no tagging perhaps but if your ever thought someone else might enjoy it too then even if you give it away at least tag the files appropriately so that others might enjoy and know more about the name and artist at least :sunglasses:

IIRC, something like MP3Tag can apply tags based on file names in bulk, so you might be able to tag all your files in a few minutes, if the origin al file naming is consistent.

I rather doubt that Roon (without applying DSP) would sound any different from Volumio though.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.