NO sound at all PC to Marantz 8801

I have downloaded the trial. I set up the core on my media server PC that connects to my Marantz 8801 preamp which is connected to my sound surround. Roon did not recognize my prepro and I get no sound at all. the PC is running windows 10. I know the setup works because I have Jriver 24 installed on the PC and it plays perfectly.

Hello @Ben_Katz,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. Can you please provide more information of your setup using this link as a guide?

Can you please provide the model of your Core and how you have the Marantz Preamp connected? Are you using HDMI, USB, Ethernet or another kind of connection? Does the Marantz does not show up at all in Settings -> Audio? If you can provide a screenshot of your Audio page it will be helpful, it should look something like this:

Thanks,
Noris

thanks for the quick reply. The core is on an HP pavilion magnesium p6674y running Windows 10. It’s connected via HDMI the video output is to my TV so a screen shot is hard roon gave me 3 choices for zones. 1) system output
2) NVIDIA high definition audio
3) jriver media center 19

I am making a leap that the system output is the onboard dac, the jriver 19 is an old version but may have had it’s own dac and NVIDIA is my video card that has a dac. So…no external dac is found??? Just a guess.

My collection currently is external HDs connected to PC. I have a huge collection but just loaded about 40000 songs of high definition so far

I have room 1.5 (build 334) stable (64) bit

Hello @Ben_Katz,

Thanks for providing that information. Can you confirm that you have the NVIDIA High Definition Audio device set to “Enabled” in Settings -> Audio and have selected it as the destination in the lower right-hand corner of Roon? You can select it here in the bottom right-hand corner:

Zone%20Name

Please make sure that it’s the HDMI and not “System Output” or another zone.

Thanks,
Noris

Yes. NVIDIA is enabled. I don’t see how to set it to HDMI though

Hello @Ben_Katz,

When you click the Zone selection button (Currently listed as “Dragonfly” in my above screenshot), there should be a list of zones popping up, similar to this list:

You should then be able to select the Marantz output from that list as your destination zone.

Thanks,
Noris

When i click the speaker icon in the NVIDIA it shows DSP to…and then a settings icon. Then below it says volume control is fixed

When I click into the settings it says audio device is “THIS PC”. It’s the only choice

Hello @Ben_Katz,

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of what you’re seeing? I am not sure if I understand what you mean from the description you provided.

There has to be a check mark next to the HDMI Marantz NVIDIA zone, meaning that it is the zone that’s currently selected and what the music will be outputted to. The fixed volume is expected since this is an HDMI output but simply clicking on the NVIDIA device selects it as a zone. It should look like this and have a check mark next to it:

You can read more about selecting zones here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Zone

Thanks,
Noris

There is no marantz Nvidia zone. Nvidia is the soundcard in my PC. It is the wasapi there that carries the sound to my Marantz. I cannot see my marrantz at all.

I see NVIDIA ( I named it that) as the output in the bottom right.when I click on it, it is the only zone.

When I click on the speaker icon I see the DSP then arrows then settings icon. If I click on DSP I go to the DSP setup screen when I click on the settings icon I get the zone setup screen. Ie zone name, zone options, audio device, etc.

@Ben_Katz,

Since NVIDIA it is the only zone, there is a check mark next to it, correct? If so, that means that you have selected it as your output zone and that’s what we want in your case.

Can you confirm the Marantz powered on and the correct HDMI input is selected and you are still not hearing any sound from the Marantz?

Thanks,
Noris

There is indeed a blue check next to NVIdia zone. It is selected. The marantz is powered on and to the right input. If it were not I could not see the screen as my TV is my monitor. I can also attest that the path is working because I can open jriver and play music over the same path. Does that help? The marantz hardware is working perfectly with jriver. The issue I believe is that when I pick the output of the NVIDIA zone my only choice is “this PC”. There is no very detailed output choice like the ones in your picture. There is no choice there to pick “marantz 8801” or something like that

@Ben_Katz,

That’s ok if the name Marantz doesn’t show up, at least you have the correct HDMI output selected it seems.
Can you please try the following:

• Right click the NVIDIA zone in the bottom right-hand corner next to the volume icon.

Right-clicking will bring up a menu like this:

• Press Device Setup Menu. It should show you a menu similar to this one:

• Scroll all the way to the bottom of this menu and press “Show Advanced”

• Enable the “Send stereo content as 7.1” toggle, the toggle should look like this:

• Press Save

• Try playing music again after enabling this setting

Please let me know if that setting works for you.

Thanks,
Noris

I set that toggle as you asked and there was no change. Do I have to restart the program?

Wait. Hold on. I set it to 5.1 and it worked. I now get sound.

@Ben_Katz,

Great to hear that it worked! Yes that setting is there as a compatibility feature for some devices when using HDMI output. You can read more about the setting here if you would like: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Multichannel.

If you have any other questions, just let us know, otherwise I wish you a pleasant trial!

Thanks,
Noris

8 posts were split to a new topic: Trouble importing library into Roon

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.