No sound with Ultrarendu

Hi all,

I purchased a Ultrarendu second hand. It’s running the latest software and I could add it as a Roon Ready device in Roon. Also my Denafrips Pontus II is showing up. When I play a song everything seems fine, but there is no sound. Also the lights on my Denarfrips Iris and Pontus are not switching to the right bitrate etc.

Could anyone please point me in te right direction? Tried all kind of things, but it doesn’t work.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jochem

How is it connected to the Pontus?
Is that particular output the one that is selected in the uR software as the output?
Which you visit and set by it’s web UI

It’s connected via USB, which is also is selected in de uR software. When I run DAC diagnostics in de web UI of the uR, the Denafrips is also regogniced. I also tried Spotify connect. No sound either.

Might sound obvious but it’s proven to be the case before…have you tried a different USB cable as it sounds like the Pontus is not getting any data from the uR at all.

Double check the uR app switcher to be sure Roon is active and not AirPlay or Spotify.
And check Roon audio settings and be sure the uR is enabled for Roon Ready and not AirPlay.
And be sure the input on the Pontus is set to USB.

I’ve confused these things before.

Thanks for the help! I tried another USB-cable, but same issue. Checked all settings in the Ur web UI. What settings in Roon can I double check?

I guess all you can check is that you have selected that zone, it’s enabled for Roon Ready.

I have no familiarity with the Pontus but does it need to be told it’s on USB input and not something else?
Running out of ideas I’m afraid.

Is volume set to max in the ultrarendu software? On the dac.

Input of the Pontus is detected automatically. But I’ll check tomorrow if bypassing the Iris DDC maybe works. And sometimes checking it with a fresh pair of eyes is the only thing needed.

Otherwise I think buying another streamer is the only option. :confused:

1 Like

I clicked on it in the DAC diagnostics, but will check that again. Thanks!

Liked your post Re: trying without the Iris.
Not for buying another streamer.

When I replied before I didn’t grok that you had a DDC in your chain.

FYI I have a microRendu and it works fine with a DDC after it and before my DAC.
(Which is not a thing I normally do. I just wanted to test)

I don’t know how the Iris/Pontus set up works but in my setup the DDC is what appears in Roon as an endpoint, not the DAC.

1 Like

I suspect you restarted the Ultrarendu after Roon found it ? Maybe restart the Pontus too.

1 Like

I have a Innuos Zen Mini as my Roon Core and I have found with my Denfrips Ares that I have had to restart my Innuos to get sound. Not sure why but I have had to do this a few times .

Its the only dac Ive had to do this with and I suspect its the Pontus thats not making the correct handshake to play the music.

1 Like

Try REMOVING your DAC from the chain in Settings/Audio. Roon may be “conflicted.” Roon will KNOW of course that there is a DAC involved. For example, in my settings I did not add my Tambaqui DAC. Because the Tambaqui is also a Roon Ready network streamer it has IT’S OWN end point. So try reconfiguring it by removing the DAC.Maybe this screenshot can be helpful… I suggest this only because I know enough about computers to know they do not like conflict. In my case, BOTH my Sonore Rendu streamer is connected to my network, AS IS my Tambaqui DAC which is a stand alone network streamer as well as a DAC. When combined in Setup, perhaps it is creating a conflict. Roon will see the USB cable coming out from your Sonore Rendu so sb unnecessary to drop in your DAC. It should play just fine .

1 Like

Wow, thanks for all the advice! After a good night of sleep I checked everything again and restarted the DAC. Then it worked! Somewhere in the process I plugged the USB-cable in the DAC, but forgot to set it to usb. Now the Denafrips Iris is shown indeed. Again, thanks so much for all the help! Now time for some music! This one is on heavy rotation: Open Qobuz

3 Likes