Noise from a Nucleus rev B

Hi Stephen,

It still works seems rather vague to me. Warranty should cover malfunctions and not necessarily a dead unit.

Lets see how this goes.

1 Like

@Ricardo_Antunes1 I agree, not sure where on the planet you are located and what consumer rights you may inherently have. If you bought from a local dealer Iā€™d simply turn up on the door step and switch devices with them.

For sure I would follow up direct with Roon regarding warranty at least giving them a chance to rectify etc.

Sure, i dont want to claim with Roon or my dealer, i believe this situation is going to be solved.

Will let you know.

Quite a lot of hits if you Google ā€˜NUC coil whineā€™. Even Intel mention it. It was the power supply for some users though. Which NUC Gen is Nucleus 2 based on?

1 Like

NUC7i3DNB for Nucleus and NUC7i7DNB for Nucleus+

Intel NUC coil whine was the reason i paid 1.700ā‚¬ for and advertised silent Nucleus :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am based in the UK.

Changing the power supply did not work for me lower voltage and higher amperageā€¦ as stated in a earlier post I even tried a linear power supply that did not work in reducing the coil wine.

This is a known issue for the Nuc, most would not hear it as it would be supplied in a case with a fan, take the fan away and put in a fanless case like the nucleus and itā€™s going to be heard.

Perhaps @David_Brown could shed some light on warrantee regarding coil whine as they are the distributor here in the UK?

1 Like

If itā€™s a Nucleus/Nucleus+ supplied by ourselves, and is still under Warranty then weā€™d be more than happy to. First point of contact would be the dealer you bought it from who can arrange to return it to us to look at under warranty.

If itā€™s a home-build then itā€™s nothing to do with us. The board is displaying a known hardware fault, so your warranty would be with Intel direct. You can check warranty status here Intel Support They are normally pretty proactive at replacing boards that are within warranty, but obviously I canā€™t speak for them. As we are not Intel ! :wink:

2 Likes

@David_Brown

Itā€™s a Nucleus revision B.

Purchased through Audio Affair, as with all things in the UK pack it up send it back, they send it back to you then say thereā€™s nothing wrong with it and send it back!

I am not to bothered about the noise and canā€™t be assed with the returns procedure!

If it fails I will buy a replacement board for it.

This is not the first one I have had, the first one was a Nucleus + supposed to have a years licence that was missing from the box then a replacement with damaged paint work on the case and 6 weeks later a revision B unit with coil whine, Just going to leave it there.

Interesting. Have you got serial numbers ? Iā€™d like to look into this. Itā€™s not the way we do things !!

1 Like

@David_Brown

I have the serial numbers, do you want me to post them here or email?

Never post anything personal on this forum, especially an email address.

Put the serial numbers or anything personal in a PM, in this case to @David_Brown.

1 Like

@xxx

Ok, thankā€™s for the info.

No, itā€™s meant to be opened by the purchaser in order to install an SSD for storage of local files.

3 Likes

Coil windings can vibrate. Thatā€™s why the best crossover inductors use vacuum impregnation. The coil is immersed in ā€œvarnishā€ and placed under vacuum to remove any air and replace it with the varnish which then sets to encase the coil in a solid matrix to prevent vibration.

If it wouldnā€™t void the warranty, Iā€™d remove the MoBo, drizzle a little epoxy over the power supply chokes and see if it kills the noise. But thatā€™s just me - itā€™s less of a b@llache than packaging up and returning 7lbs of Nucleusā€¦

This isnā€™t Roonā€™s fault. Itā€™s a QC issue on the part of the MoBo manufacturer.

4 Likes

Here is an interesting read regarding coil whine.

I googled a bit and it seems that not everybody succeeded to completely eliminate coil whine using this method.

I think itā€™s bad for warranty anyway.

Never heard this from a NUC but it is pretty common on older notebooks, often from ā€œbudgetā€ brands.

However, the Bluesound Vault 2(i) suffers from this on all of the samples iā€™ve tried. It actually chirps and buzz as much as when ripping a CD! I kept my 1:st Gen Vault instead!

This sort of thing is one of many reasons why i keep Core far away from any listening environments. With only power and Ethernet, it can go almost anywhere.

2 Likes

Hi Mate, have PMā€™d you. If you could drop them into that and a rough stab at the date they were returned. Cheers - Dave.B