Noise occurs in "Smile"

Noise occurs in "Smile"

Perhaps a little more detail or explanation?

Edit : played OK , admittedly on my iPad speakers :crazy_face:

From around 1:29 seconds of the song, noise like a vinyl record comes in.

I haven’t tried this via Roon, but using the Tidal app on my ipad speakers, there is a strange click type noise at 1.29 followed by what sounds like distortion shortly after on the guitar followed by other noises. I would complain to Tidal and see what they have to say.

What source are you listening from (Tidal, CD rip etc)? Have you tried listening via another app (tidal desktop or other players if you have CD rip)?

I’ve noticed that some albums available on Qobuz and Tidal are unmistakably vinyl rips. Perhaps this album is one of these?

I was listening to TIDAL from roon, but as you say,
the TIDAL app is noisy as well.
Therefore, I would like to contact TIDAL.

I don’t know about it because I don’t have a Qobuz contract.

I listened to this song in Roon via Qobuz. No strange noise to be heard.

Thank you!

It does not sound like vinyl noise to me. It sounds like a bad CD rip. I’ve heard this on other albums on TIDAL. You can try contacting their support. I did in my case as well, although never bothered to follow-up to see if they updated the affected album with a better copy (probably replaced by a crappy MQA version by now, LOL).

My understanding is that streaming providers generally get the content directly from the studios, but there are definitely some damaged tracks in TIDAL’s library.

Sounds like a nice enough album to be worth adding to the personal library. Sadly, it looks like it’s out of print, but you may be able to find a 2nd hand copy on Discogs or similar sites. Prices look reasonable, but shipping is kind-of crazy these days. :-\

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I love MQA!