Not migrating my core to new Nucleus

I am to receive a Nucleus tomorrow, my present Core is on my iMac. I am thinking I might not migrate the Core to the new Nucleus it would remove a lot of unused music and all of my downloads are stored on two external HDs.

Thatā€™s fine. Back it up anyway and set it aside in a safe place. You can always change your mind.
BTW, enjoy your shiny new toy! :smile:

I have already backed up on one HD and will on another tonight.

One other question should I delete the core off of the iMac before I set up the Nucleus?

How are you going to use the Mac? How was Roon set up on the Mac?
If you are going to use it as a client, to interface with the Nucleus, and it was Roon ā€˜all in oneā€™, leave it there. Just disconnect it as the core.
If you are going to use it as a bridge, best to take it off the Mac.

My answer is simpler: I never delete anything from anywhere.
Storage is cheap, and you never know.

Hi, can you elaborate on the ā€œjust disconnect the coreā€ statement?

Currently have ROON setup on a mac (core / control / output)
Will setup ROCK on a NUC (core / output)
Would like my Mac to then be Bridge (output) or Remote (control / output)

How do I make current Roon on osx just a Remote or Bridge?

The Community articles on Migration & Headless appear to contradict each other.
One says delete the old database and one says do a fresh install.
?
Cheers

When you set up ROCK, you will restore a backup of your current Roon Setup to the ROCK. When you do that the ROCK will become your ā€˜coreā€™. You will be asked to ā€˜deauthorizeā€™ the core on your Mac. You deauthorize that core.
When you run Roon on the Mac it will simply be either the controller or the Bridge. Itā€™s ā€˜Coreā€™ functions (the instance of the database, for example) simply will not run on the Mac. You will be able to use it for the other functions.
I donā€™t want to complicate this, but if in the future you want to run the Core on your Mac, you would do this by turning off the ROCK unit and ā€˜deauthorizeā€™ it. Then the Mac will run as core, controller and bridge if you so desire. You might do this if you go on vacation, for example (if the Mac is a laptop)
Its still the same installation of software, but the core function can either run or not run.
Does that make sense?
ā€™

1 Like

OK, I believe I follow.
Will try it out when the NUC arrives in next couple of days.

Cheers :+1:

1 Like