Now no tags at all in my music files whatsoever. Need tagging in advance?

Hi all,
I’m about to go from listening my music stored on a Media PC using XXHighend as a player to internet streaming (Quobuz on a Lumin U2) icw my own stored music, all by using ROON (ROCK on a NUC with 8Tb SSD)
Since I own >12.000 music files on HDD and XXHighend did’nt need tagged files, I trew all 'unnecessary, small files out of the music files. Thus also the tagging of that files. I have therefore one, but for me very important question about tagging:
Can Roon FULLY tag my music files(thus only filled only with .wav or .flac files and a .jpg for the cover) independently, WITHOUT my own music allready tagged, or am I forced to tag (by MP3Tag or so) all my music files in advance before using ROON (I know Roon makes its own database on ‘small’ SSD of the NUC with tags)
Happy listening, HW

Your files to not need to have metadata to be identified by Roon.

Please read Roonlabs Knowledge base - search for identify album-
and gives this topic in the forum an indepth look:

Thanks,Dirk. I’ll look into it !

The thing is (probably…) that I have lots of .wav files. And as far as I know they have no metadata in them… Can Roon find tags ONLY on the basis of a map with the name of the band and in this map the music files named by date and album name? (so the Windows tree-structure. The maps with the bands are themselfs cathegorised in maps with the name of a genre)

In te Knowledge Base’s chapter ’ File Tag Best Practice’ tagging mannually is mentioned, but is this about tagging INSIDE Roon, or before storing it to the NUC’s ssd?

That article is intended for those of us who use a third-party tag editor to edit the file metadata.

Why don’t you try importing your files into Roon and see what the results are?

Providing that you have folders that represent albums (i.e. a folder represents a particular album and contains all the tracks on that album), then Roon can take a good stab at it.

If you want tags, which I personally would, you can easily use mp3tag to create your artist, album, track number and name metadata tags from the directory and file names. It is done with the “Convert > filename to tag” function. This can be done in a batch manner for your FLAC and WAV files.

I already started with MP3Tag. But since I have a lot of music on HDD (>12.000 maps with music) it takes months of work tagging it all. Especially my map Jazz will take a lot of time since I also have to change the names of the maps from the performers (I start the name of the performer with the baptise name…)

Yes, I think I’ll try that first, for it is a lot of work tagging all my music files in advance. Thanks for the help

Not sure what you mean by maps. But if you mean directory names and file names, if they are consistent across all these “maps”, then mp3tag could automatically create artist, album, and track tags running in batch mode for 12,000 albums in probably 3 days on a reasonably powerful computer.

edit: although I’d probably run my mp3 convert step on maybe 500 or 1000 albums at a time.

You can select sort by Last Name then First Name or the other way around its in settings

PS have looked at Songkong it does a lot automatically quite a labour saver

1 Like

SongKong is fantastic.

1 Like

I think Bliss could be a good solution for you.

Torben

1 Like

I’ll try all your suggestions. Thanks for the help so far!!

Sorry if this was mentionted before, but one thing to note is that Roon will not modify your files in any way, so it will not tag the files, but build a database on top of your files with the metadata, so that it can present it in the application.

2 Likes

Thank you Vladislav, but that I know