Now Playing Some Jazz

I figured I would share this here, as Moanin’ is my favorite Art Blakey album! I just spun the vinyl before I went to bed last night!

Now I have to start listening to some of these recommendations!
https://www.discogs.com/digs/what-to-listen-to-if-you-like-moanin-art-blakey-and-the-jazz-messengers/?utm_source=Homepage&utm_medium=Discogs&utm_campaign=Digs_2021

1 Like

Thanks for the original McGregor post after which I used Roon’s artist discography feature to find a few McGregor recordings available on Tidal/Qobuz that I was unfamiliar with. One of them, shown below is basically a Blue Notes record. The Blue Notes were a fabled South African jazz ensemble lead by McGregor and featuring several other great musicians who would find fame (well “fame” in the jazz sense) after they left South Africa such as Mongezi Feza (trumpet), Louis Moholo (drums), Dudu Pukwana (alto sax) and the great Johnny Dyani (bass). You can’t go exploring, and therefore enjoying, the music of any of these highly talented musicians.

4 Likes

I’m not so sure that these recommendations are all that applicable to Moanin’ since they seem more like recordings that the store needs to get off the shelves. :rofl:

1 Like

Well good thing I have Qobuz, Tital and Roon so I can listen to new stuff before buying it :+1:

1 Like

It’s been too long since I heard this, it’s a classic in my book!

Hank Mobley - Soul Station

10 Likes

It’s getting near closing time here and this one fits the moment nicely…

2 Likes

Thanks Ralph! I will try to find that one.
Not a fan of Nick Drake though, so staying away from that even if the data is correct. :laughing:

I don’t know much about most of these musicians but I really like Johnny Dyani - I discovered him after hearing the track Magwaza on the Steeplechase edition of Jazzman Records’ Spiritual Jazz reissue series. I then listened to Witchdoctor’s Son and Song for Biko and really liked them both. More exploring to do!

Did a little more research and Chris McGregor is indeed the pianist on those Nick Drake records. The connection being the producer Joe Boyd, who produced both Nick Drake and a few McGregor records.

Speaking of connections, Johnny Dyani ended up in Denmark where he recorded several records as a member of guitarist Pierre Dorge’s New Jungle Orchestra.
This one is excellent but not available on Tidal or Qobuz:

Here’s one that is quite good and is available on Tidal and Qobuz:

Check out the track “A Rainbow Over the Bamboo Forest” for some classic Johnny Dyani.

By the way human driven, personally curated recommendations beat A.I. driven Valence recommendations any day of the week.

2 Likes

Roon Radio discovered this gem in my own library. I didn’t know that this album existed in my own collection until Roon radio played one of the songs on it! It was a CD that I inherited from my father and was ripped early in my process of converting to computer audio. I had never listened to this CD which is now stored in my basement. Thank you Roon Radio.

10 Likes

Now try this album which is available on both Tidal and Qobuz

3 Likes

Added this for later listening, thanks for the post :+1:

1 Like

If you are looking for a rambunctious holiday, this 21 cd set on Qobuz will delight. Easy to argue that some of the earlier Art Ensemble recordings are better. But there is plenty to love here. The pdf booklet is worthy of inspection. Ancient to the Future.
RoonShareImage-637758553481701260

4 Likes

Rather than say “better” I would say that the earlier recordings are just as rewarding. One of my favorites from the pre ECM period is this live gem from 1972 which is available on Tidal and Qobuz. All killer, no filler.

Roon’s lame “share” function not working so here’s a screen shot instead.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Ralph, you are are true jazz gem! As is Bap-Tizum. I also like Live in Paris a lot. Like Steve Coleman, hard to find a bad AEC recording that is not worth your time. I know I’m preaching to the choir…

RoonShareImage-637758668923728900

1 Like

Now we are really getting down to business.

Here is Trovesi working in a large ensemble with some of his British friends (notes included for those Italian speaking jazz lovers). Not on Tidal or Qobuz, in fact the album is not even “identified” by Roon (does that mean that it’s not safe to listen to?):

3 Likes

I also love Trovesi’s simple but oh so enjoyable music with Gianni Coscia… In Cerca di Cibo makes me dream…

Why thank you. I’ve been listening to jazz for what will soon be 50 years, since my mind was blown by electric Miles Davis back in the early 1970s. Living most of my life in the greater New York City area means that I’ve been able to enjoy lots of high quality live jazz over the years, way too many to even begin to list. While I’ve always been a collector of jazz recordings, the age of digital music, file sharing and now streaming services has really brought untold riches to my ever expanding digital music library. And of course Roon just makes things so much easier for music and jazz fanatics like me.

As long as there’s no mention of KoB and any of those other tired jazz warhorses I will continue to post to this very enjoyable thread.

Giving this very interesting new release a listen as I write. Available on T/Q and really quite enjoyable. Not something one would hear on the radio or SiriusXM here in the US, yes even here in NYC. There’s so much excellent jazz coming from other parts of the world. Thank you Tidal and Qobuz!

4 Likes

Just for context: walked into a club for a drink in 1975 in Bloomington, IN. I had never heard anyone play anything that might be considered jazz. Joe Henderson was playing which completely turned me around forever. Sat in on David Baker’s (Mingus trombone) outstanding Intro to Jazz course at IU. Hooked forever.

I’m following and listening to all of the recordings you suggest. Though Dean Trovesi will mean ordering from Discogs from Italy. Keep them coming, PLEASE! Here’s what is playing right now. I love Chico Freeman.

2 Likes