Nuc 10th gen or better stay on 8th gen

Get a fanless chassis.

From Anandtech:

From Hothardware:

I’m not clear on this. I imagine that most of the time, roon core isn’t running that hard, so the chip with the lower power consumption at idle would be best. I understand that there are some functions where you would want more power and speed, which would lean the bias towards the newer faster chip. In both cases that seems to be the nuc10. The downside of being more heat when the unit is cranking. Do I understand that correctly? Thank you.

For low idle power consumption, get the NUC10.

For single-thread DSP performance, get the NUC8i7BEH as discussed in the other thread linked above.

I want to say that I dont have experience with NUCs, when I said that 8 or 9 is better than 10 I mean overclocking and undervolting. It was maybe little bit a stupid even comment to this thread.

This is the reason why I said that.

We are recommending the 10th generation only because the 8th generation and earlier are becoming more difficult to find. Both are more than adequate to run ROCK.

7 Likes

Expert made a clear conclusion. :slight_smile:

Would we say this is still the case? Now with the gen11 out?

ROCk currently does not support gen11.

1 Like

would nuc8i5 be better than nuc10i3?

and is nuc8i3 better than nuc10i3?

NUC8i5 is definitely better than NUC10i3.

NUC8i3 is arguably better than NUC10i3.

NUC8i5 is arguably better than NUC10i5. I have both.

Quad core vs Dual core.

FWIW

I run ROCK on a 10i7 , 256 SSD, Approx 200 k tracks with no issues, unless it’s inputting files and Working Hard just playing music it’s silent.

The setup and install was easy