NUC 11 coming out ... worth it?

The lack of communication from a professional entity is what is hard to understand @Mikael_Ollars.
I’m well aware a Nuc 11 is not supported at this moment, and I have set up Roon via Windows.
However in January it was mentioned by Roon that this was being worked on. If it can’t be done c’est la vie.
I have merely asked for an update and have not received a word of acknowledgment.
After paying for a lifetime subscription, I find the absence of contact from Roon bewildering and to be honest, upsetting.
If any audio hardware manufacturer was called out for such behaviour on the ‘net’ they would be hung out to dry and trust would be questioned.

It’s not that hard to understand though, NUC 11 support is not ready yet.

I bought a NUC 11 for ROCK also, without realizing that it will not work because ROCK only works with Legacy Boot not UEFI Boot!

Would hope ROCK will be updated very soon for NUC 11 support.

Windows + Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit. Who’s ROCK? :slight_smile:

Stick with NUC10 for now is my suggestion.

But it’s not just UEFI support for Roon OS 2.0, is it? And we don’t know what is in the final list, because Danny has learned his lesson, and won’t commit to timelines. It will be ready when it is ready and not before.

2 Likes

We do not give progress updates, release dates, or timeframes of any sort. We did that years ago, and we’ve learned our lesson. No good deed goes unpunished.

7 Likes

To answer the question posed in the title of your thread, since you seem to be interested in only running ROCK on the NUC and, from what I’ve read, GEN8 is a good solution for running ROCK, then GEN11 is not worth it.

2 Likes

But what’s so hard about adding NUC 11 support though? I’m sure there are many people in the Roon community (including myself), who are computer scientists with senior software engineering and system design skills who can contribute in free time to make the support available, including adding some additional highly expected features such as a VPN for remote connection to the ROCK NUC. If you do not have enough workforce to keep up with the expected features and compatibility of ROCK, why not get community help?

1 Like

Because that would be a nightmare?

In what sense? There is an enormous open-source ecosystem out there that functions nicely. I suppose you already use dozens of open-source apps…

Is there really that big difference between ROCK and a slim Linux install running Roon core? Should at least be very similar sound quality, and should also work on NUC 11 and more open for tweaks.

1 Like

Well, yes… not talking about SQ, just the whole admin overhead. Rock is a turnkey appliance Aunt Marge could install and use, a “a slim Linux install running Roon core” is not. I am patiently waiting for UEFI support before upgrading my NUC.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, and now I know you don’t give progress reports, I’ll stop asking.

1 Like

Would there be any disadvantages running Roon on a Debian 10 OS on a NUC 11that’s set for UEFI? Does Roon auto-update itself on Linux?

RoonServer on RoonOS is less demanding for memory consumption, and a bit faster. We will be addressing that gap soon.

It does however auto-update just fine.

I see. When you say “faster”, are you pertaining to when you’re navigating through the libraries?

But there should be no issues running RoonServer on a Linux on a UEFI-enabled NUC 11, right?

Yes, and mostly everything else too.

Correct.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 12 hours.

I am running Roon Server with Linux Ubuntu on NUC 11 now.
Works fine, but is there any sound quality difference compared to ROCK?