NUC 11 coming out ... worth it?

But it’s not just UEFI support for Roon OS 2.0, is it? And we don’t know what is in the final list, because Danny has learned his lesson, and won’t commit to timelines. It will be ready when it is ready and not before.

2 Likes

We do not give progress updates, release dates, or timeframes of any sort. We did that years ago, and we’ve learned our lesson. No good deed goes unpunished.

7 Likes

To answer the question posed in the title of your thread, since you seem to be interested in only running ROCK on the NUC and, from what I’ve read, GEN8 is a good solution for running ROCK, then GEN11 is not worth it.

2 Likes

But what’s so hard about adding NUC 11 support though? I’m sure there are many people in the Roon community (including myself), who are computer scientists with senior software engineering and system design skills who can contribute in free time to make the support available, including adding some additional highly expected features such as a VPN for remote connection to the ROCK NUC. If you do not have enough workforce to keep up with the expected features and compatibility of ROCK, why not get community help?

1 Like

Because that would be a nightmare?

In what sense? There is an enormous open-source ecosystem out there that functions nicely. I suppose you already use dozens of open-source apps…

Is there really that big difference between ROCK and a slim Linux install running Roon core? Should at least be very similar sound quality, and should also work on NUC 11 and more open for tweaks.

1 Like

Well, yes… not talking about SQ, just the whole admin overhead. Rock is a turnkey appliance Aunt Marge could install and use, a “a slim Linux install running Roon core” is not. I am patiently waiting for UEFI support before upgrading my NUC.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, and now I know you don’t give progress reports, I’ll stop asking.

1 Like

Would there be any disadvantages running Roon on a Debian 10 OS on a NUC 11that’s set for UEFI? Does Roon auto-update itself on Linux?

RoonServer on RoonOS is less demanding for memory consumption, and a bit faster. We will be addressing that gap soon.

It does however auto-update just fine.

I see. When you say “faster”, are you pertaining to when you’re navigating through the libraries?

But there should be no issues running RoonServer on a Linux on a UEFI-enabled NUC 11, right?

Yes, and mostly everything else too.

Correct.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 12 hours.

I am running Roon Server with Linux Ubuntu on NUC 11 now.
Works fine, but is there any sound quality difference compared to ROCK?

I think ROCK by default disables many services that normally run in a fresh Linux installation (be it Ubuntu or any other OS). I believe they do this to minimize memory consumption and in return power consumption, so as to have the least about of potential distraction. But I also would like to learn which OS services come running by default in ROCK? Simply, what’s the bare minimum discussed here?

The Roon Nucleus has ROCK running on a NUC with Linuz light OS, ie. Ubuntu? Yes the NUC can only have the ROCK OS for Roon ROCK only. Nothing else

Roon has never claimed a SQ difference between ROCK and other Linux based OS.

As per Danny in another thread:

There is no distro upon which ROCK is based. It’s a built-from-scratch system. First the compilers are built, then those compilers are used to build every byte running on the system from source. The bootup, the rootfs, and the typical process table looks very different from any other distribution.

2 Likes

IMHO, AudioLinux OS (www.audio-linux.com) is the best choice to use with Roon Server on an UEFI based hardware (i,e. NUC11).

Interesting my router identifies it as Red Hat for NUC/ROCK.