NUC ROCK connected to AVR via HDMI?

Is it possible to play music from my ROCK through a direct connection to AVR rather than streaming? I have an Onkyo TX-NR6100 and I built a ROCK with a NUC11PAHi7. I’ve been streaming over the AVRs built-in Chromecast but I was curious if it could be done over HDMI. I tried it and it worked once, but when I tried it again the music was slow and distorted until I rebooted the system. Would I need something else between the NUC and the AVR? Did I configure something wrong? Should I not be trying HDMI connection and just stick to streaming?

I used a NUC i5 for that with a Denon AVR. Worked pretty nice. But some things have to be considered here.

• There’s no guarantee that your roon device is 100% compatible with your specific AVR when connected via HDMI
  • Some AVRs are sensitive when it comes to proper HDMI communication. Some users report that they have to turn on the HDMI connected TV to get proper audio. Then, you may be able to circumvent this by some settings in your AVR.
  • If you use music files of different formats you may try setting the roon device option “re-sync” to higher values, up to several x,000ms.
  • Keep in mind that there’s no way to transport native DSD over HDMI with NUC or any sort of PC like hardware. You may choose between DSD over PCM/DoP or DSD convert to PCM in the roon device options. Depending on your AVR’s capabilities.
  • If you play multi channel audio through HDMI issues may appear more quickly and often compared to stereo. In case you use DSD convert to PCM and/or DSP your roon signal path may show a low processing speed (< 2x). This can also result in audio problems.
  • You said ROCK. So, you use your NUC as a roon endpoint connected to a roon server? How are they connected?
  • Unfortunately, HDMI doesn’t seem to be plug&play. Some users gave up since their roon-AVR combinations don’t like each other.
  • And finally, use a proper and working cable. And this shouldn’t exceed a certain length. Doesn’t have to be expensive, BTW.
3 Likes

It should work but as Matt advised in his nicely detailed response it could depend on the AVR. It works well with Denon and I’ve used it for many years.

When using the HDMI zone if the issue occurs check the signal path and post a screen shot here. Perhaps that will give us an idea of what is happening.

2 Likes

The ROCK is my server and I thought that my AVR was my endpoint, but I guess I’m misunderstanding how these things work. I’m using ALAC files mostly. I don’t have my entire library ripped or transferred over and I’ll likely have some albums and individual songs in MP3 format. As for the cable I’m using, it’s an inexpensive 3 foot HDMI. My NUC is just a couple of feet from the AVR.

If your using a network protocol such as Chromecast then the avr is the streamer, via HDMI it’s acting as a DAC and amplifier. They both are your endpoint but via different means.

Hi,
Yes it can. I’ve had this setup for a long time with my Marantz SR6008. Works like a charm. Use the DVD input on the AVR. The NUC should be ready from one of your ALSA outputs (settings => Audio). The only thing is, HDMI is not audio-only so the ROCK screen will show on your tv when it’s on.
It is true that HDMI doesn’t support DSD (converts to PCM), but my setup plays beautifully FLAC files up to 24/32 bits/192 KHz. It’s all you need, I guess.
Its true what Mike says, HDMI/ROCK doesn’t always work with every AVR. Mike has a Denon, I have a Marantz and those brands use a lot of the same parts. With Onkyo I don’t know. So, use a fresh short cable, use the DVD input on the AVR and for the ROCK alsa audio output try no 2 first. Set the Onkyo to accept only HDMI on the DVD input.
Good luck

Sony AVR user here. It’s worked fine for me, but HDMI CEC doesn’t work out of the box at all. (I’m looking at the HDMI extension and have ordered an adapter to add to the NUC board, and that should give me some of the CEC functionality anyway)

I was first using the PC slot on my AVR and switched to AUX and Cab/Sat to see if it would make a difference but it didn’t. I’ll give a try on the DVD port, but I actually have a 4k Blu-Ray player on that one. The TV definitely doesn’t have to show what’s going on with the ROCK. I’ve had the TV off and also have had the TV web browser up as a display while it’s playing both as Chromecast and when I’ve test the HDMI connection. I’ve tried to use the other audio outputs and get no sound from them.

Hi, again. I don’t know how much you have tested yet, but you need to do the following:
Open the Roon client on your PC. Open settings => audio. There you find the ready outgoing ports. My ROCK has 0-4 ports ready for HDMI. Start with enabling port 2 and at the same time disable Chromecast, probably on the same page.
Let is know if you get any sound😀

My NUC has 12 HDMI outputs listed as Connected to Roon Server labeled as 0 to 11. I tried all of them and none give me audio except for the one labeled 0.

That’s normal. Just select HDMI 0.

1 Like

Hi, Rod.
So, port zero it is. Nice sound?
If I were you, I would sit down and read all the exelent information Roon has on how to set up your new endpoint.
Thx