NUC vs Mac Mini - Cost Analysis

I started with Roon on a Mac Mini and was very happy. But I was running Linux on it, not macOS. The hardware is nifty; it’s just the Apple policies that have started to get in the way.

2 Likes

This is definitely becoming more true with Ventura. An example of this and an explanation most can understand has been well presented by the developer of A better finder rename.

https://youtu.be/6w0AhNNXrus?t=146

1 Like

The M1 or M2 Mac mini is far better than any NUC or Nucleus you are going to get. Far more powerful and extremely easy to manage. If you want to run DSP or HQPlayer, it’s a no brainer saying the M1 or M2 Mac mini is superior.

Updating is no issue. Anyone that says different is fear mongering. This idea that Apple is third-party software adverse is incorrect. They just want to make sure you are running safe software. Anyone developing software properly will have no issues. For example, Roon will always install and update without Apple’s nannies complaining because Roon does it right. So does HQPlayer…

10 Likes

I’ve never used a Mac so barrier to entry is learning a whole new system Vs creating a usb key.
I’ve pondered getting a mini but too much hassle when the last apple box I used was a IIe :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pointing out that Apple is an expensive walled garden isn’t fear mongering, just a reflection on reality. It’s nice hardware at a premium price with a lot of “mythology” built on the cult of Jobs. I’d say anyone who’s tech savvy and likes to administer their own system their way, should avoid Apple. If you’re comfortable in a Cupertino knows best environment or aren’t bothered about tech details then the Mac’s a good consumer device. I’d certainly take a Mac over any Windows box. I’ve owned a few Apple devices and always end up fighting the OS or installing back door package managers. Horses for courses and all that…

6 Likes

A valid point. But your argument only works, if you don’t want to do anything other than Roon on your NUC. As soon as it is not Roon only, the Mac Mini seems to actually offer more for the asking price. Which is actually a strange development consider Apple’s price policy.

I suspect there’s an element of trying to establish their new ARM architecture to the pricing. As a software dev there are still flaky/missing elements, e.g. missing Python libs, that don’t necessarily have Apple Silicon builds. More chips in circulation may help to address that.

Sure, and to me it is an advantage that I don’t want to do anything else on the NUC and that the NUC doesn’t do anything else. That’s why it can be zero maintenance.

As for price, I never considered it as it was a drop in the ocean of my system’s price either way.

However, I think Apple’s prices are a not always bad. I mean sure, peripherals like roll wheels for cheese grater Macs for €650 are quite out there. On the other hand, Minis and MacBooks are totally competitive. My MacBook Air M2 blows a current Dell XPS 13 out of the water in all aspects and is actually the same price or even cheaper.

I said upgrading not updating. Which you cant. You cant add more ram or larger internal discs . So you have to spec for future not now as you will end up replacing the whole thing when your local resources run out of steam. I personally wont buy a computer I cant upgrade without having to buy a new one its wasteful and not great for the environment .

3 Likes

Why doing a cost analysis?
This is a hobby and not your profession.
At work I do cost analysis, for my hobby I buy what I like (MacMiniM1) and can afford.

3 Likes

I have read this very often, but I do not understand it correctly.
I have a MacMiniM1 and have 99% of the time no screen connected to the M1. Roon I Control via Remote App and otherwise I use VNC on the iPad to connect to the M1 when I want to do stuff directly on the M1. Sometimes I connect a screen when I have to do some mor maintenance to do, which is quite rare.
I do not use an adaptor. Why should I use one? Maybe I am missing here something (I am fairly new to MacOS)?

1 Like

It seems that it works without a dongle but only in FullHD (1920x1080). Higher resolutions need a dongle that simulates a higher-res attached display

3 Likes

Maybe it’s changed in later Os or hardware but you used to have to have a monitor attached. As we tried to use one at work that was in our server room but could not get it to work even via vnc at the time. Attached a monitor it worked.

You have never needed to have a monitor attached to to an M1 Mac mini to remotely manage it.

3 Likes

The iPhone and iPad products are a walled garden…macOS devices are not. You can still install and run any software you want….even software that might be quite dangerous to run.

The M1 and M2 Mac mini systems are quite the bargain considering what you get.

2 Likes

I have to say I probably wouldn’t buy a NUC, either, to run my Roon Core. I’d buy a refurbished mass-market PC and put Linux on it. Something like this:

Dell - Refurbished OptiPlex Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 480GB SSD – $330

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-refurbished-optiplex-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-480gb-ssd-black-silver/6383535.p?skuId=6383535

4 Likes

I’ll have native Linux then please :wink:

I run Ubuntu in Parallels on my Air and it runs better than on the crappy Dell XPS. I have had it with poor PC hardware and laptop design, and eternal Linux GUI issues, after 30 years of running Linux exclusively on my private machines, and I couldn’t be happier with the Air M2.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with that, there’s just no universally right answer for folk is all. VMs aren’t the same and once you get down to hardware pass through are rarely worth the bother. Why piggyback the OS I want on top of one I don’t?

Getting a used NUC on eBay up to 3 gens back and run ROCK on it is a no brainer to me. $150, if your lucky - that’s it. DSP and all plenty fast enough.

1 Like