NUC vs Mac Mini - Cost Analysis

I am more than fine day-to-day with macOS but have Ubuntu when I need it. One reason is that the Air actually wakes up reliably from sleep and has wifi working in the time it takes me to open the lid, as opposed to every laptop with Linux I ever had. I.e. so quickly that you don’t even notice that it goes to sleep all the time. Or that all it takes to extend to a secondary screen on my iPad, wirelessly, is a flick of the mouse. Or 20 hours on battery. And that Roon runs without eating 100% of one core and blowing the fans. Well there are no fans on the Air :slight_smile:

And I am finally free from the trainwreck that Dell’s hardware designers create with every new hardware iteration. I looked into the new Dell XPS 13 when I needed a new one in December and it’s a cruel joke compared to the Air and more expensive. You can choose between one version that feels like it’s from 2005 and one that eats all its battery in 4 hours of use. Literally every single hardware design detail is worse from keyboard to opening the lid to power connect and everything. (And don’t even get me started on ThinkPads)

Sure, there is a better or worse choice for every need and often running Linux on the hardware is what makes sense. Like if running a server on a full-size machine. I gave it up with a heavy heart for philosophical reasons, like I said it was my exclusive choice for 3 decades (and boy you had to be mad in 1994 to use it as an everyday desktop). But for everyday laptop use I am happier now. And there are no restrictions on macOS whatsoever, I have no idea what people are talking about.

Sorry, back to the topic as you where :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did that - you can install ROCK on so many things - however I eventually went for a NUC because it’s 10 times smaller than an old enterprise desktop and it’s supported

Yup, this is still true to keep intel iGPU’s from being affected by C-states. So intel Macs, NUCs, even desktops with the iGPU activated will have the issues of the iGPU taking a rest if a monitor or dongle is not connected.

Some people only use iGPU for video decoding and attach a monitor to a Second card, but without a dongle the iGPU eventually goes onto a low power mode and decoding performance tanks. I suspect this was the problem using the (full) Roon app on a headless server with Mac with intel.

2 Likes

I believe sir you have found the way to run a stable legacy core on apple silicon.

I know what I’m doing while I have coffee today.

:coffee: :crazy_face: :computer_mouse: :keyboard: :coffee: :desktop_computer: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :coffee:
(Is that enough coffee…)

2 Likes

I am not quite sure which kind legacy core you mean, but be aware that running in Parallels on Apple Silicon requires an ARM Linux build, so not sure if that works with a legacy core

Was thinking I would try the arm version of jammy on parallels.

It’s really just something to try (while drinking coffee), I have a drive with Ubuntu, hqp, 1.8 legacy, and wine on another machine.

See all the fun things you can do on your Roon core if it’s not a ROCK/MOCK. :wink:

:thinking: need :coffee:

But is there an 1.8 Legacy Roon build for Linux that runs on ARM?

Here you go:

By the way, Apple is not stopping anyone from running Linux on any of their computers. They just aren’t helping you get there.

2 Likes

yup …been watching this project. And naturally they aren’t stopping it, if it gets you to buy their hardware, it’s money in their pocket and they don’t have to support it (tech support wise).

Great if you have a mac and want to run linux. I’m kinda in the other boat, I have at least 6 machines, all run MacOS, windows and linux… only 1 is an actual mac. It’s the 1st mac I bought in ~15 years. I hate it more than I like it. But it is a low powered roon core, plex server, file server, spam server, box that sits atop a large zfs pool and that’s it. I should’ve got the more ram though, 32 is not enought. I prefer the 13900k hackintosh to the M1 or even M2. I’ll never be completely satisfied with apples M’s.

On another note… I’ll go on record saying the M1 mac will probably outlive the NUC lifespan wise.

1 Like

I’ve been running the Roon server on Ubuntu on NUC for a few years (3?). It was a little rough at first, but has been very smooth the last 2-3 years.

It’s also quite nice because I run some other servers on Ubuntu, although I understand that many others would not want to (couple of different HTTP servers, git, etc).

Regardless you want to run on something that will not run hot. I’d avoid mass-market consumer PC’s, but there are lots of ‘business’ computers that work. As does the NUC. I’d include the Mac M1 mini in the cool and reliable category (I have both sitting next to each other…).

Seems likely that whatever you choose should run smoothly headless.

1 Like

arrrr… I thought all this through before coffee.

1 Like

The “blazing fast” SSD is only if you upgrade to 512GB on the M2 models. Which is another $200. But this holds true for M1 - even the 256GB on those is crazy quick.

As far as upgradability - you are stuck with the RAM and SSD size out of the box. It’s all soldered on and a part of the value prop of these machines. I daily drive one.

I LOVE my NUC. It’s incredible and I’ve not thought about but 1 or 2 times over 2 years.

And if you’re buying into the whole Apple “it just works” ethos, Roon ROCK is even more so - it literally chugs away in a closet and never needs an OS upgrade or anything more than accessing the IP by a browser.

1 Like

It’s not even finished yet. That’s a joke answer. I’m after a dev environment not a curiosity

What about the speakers, I hear you ask? We hear you! For months now we’ve had working speaker drivers, but we haven’t enabled them for good reason: because we had the very strong suspicion that you could destroy your speakers without more complex volume limits and safety systems. As it turns out… those suspicions were correct! I decided to take one for the team and run some tests on my MacBook Air M2, and even with some sensible volume limits I quickly managed to blow up my tweeters. Oops! Good thing we haven’t enabled the speakers yet!

Sounds great :+1:

That’s not Apple’s responsibility. You are blaming the wrong party here.

1 Like

I’m not blaming anybody, just pointing out that your suggestion wasn’t a useful one. I’ll stick with an open(ish) platform where I get to make the choices thanks.

It not a closed platform just because no one has a fully mature native Linux for it….jeez.

What constitutes an open or closed platform is a different discussion for a more philosophical/technical thread. I’d argue that such a thing barely exists, but a choice of OS is a start :wink: . Apple’s current direction certainly isn’t one I care to travel in. FWIW I’ll likely end up with some M2 silicon for build testing at some point. A mini is the obvious choice but experience leads me to expect that’s all I’ll use it for.

Human Raul

Just gonna say this Apple an Roon belong together, I can see Apple aquiring Roon one day. I have tried several setups and MacOS works best for me, not to mention it auto updates. I have also logged into my google enterprise account and mirror my google cloud drive and streaming works great. I have auto backups enabled and the system runs with amazing power efficiency. And if you wanted, you can do more than just Roon. The Mac mini I think is the best platform for Roon and Roon server. Not to mention probably the platform with the best security.

AI Robot Chat GPT

Roon is a high-quality music streaming and management software that is compatible with both MacOS and Windows operating systems. While it can run on both platforms, there are several reasons why MacOS may be the best option to run Roon.

1. Stability and Performance: MacOS is known for its stability and performance. Apple designs both the hardware and software for their products, which means they can optimize the operating system to work seamlessly with the hardware. This can result in a smoother and more reliable experience when running Roon on MacOS.
  2. User Experience: MacOS is often praised for its user experience, which is designed to be intuitive and easy to use. This can make it easier for users to navigate and use Roon on MacOS.
  3. Security: MacOS is generally considered to be more secure than Windows, due in part to the way it is designed and the fact that it is less frequently targeted by malware and viruses. This can help to protect your music library and other sensitive information when using Roon.
  4. Integration with other Apple products: If you use other Apple products such as an iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, using MacOS can provide a more seamless integration between these devices and Roon. For example, you can use your iPhone or iPad to control Roon on your Mac, or use your Apple Watch to control playback.

Overall, while Roon can run on both MacOS and Windows, MacOS may be the best option for those who value stability, performance, user experience, security, and integration with other Apple products.

Human Raul

Tell me why MacOS is the best option to run Roon. And also tell me why the Mac mini is a better option than an Intel Nuc.

AI Robot Chat GPT

As I mentioned in my previous answer, MacOS can be a great option to run Roon due to its stability, performance, user experience, security, and integration with other Apple products. However, the choice between a Mac Mini and an Intel NUC may depend on several factors, including budget, performance needs, and personal preference. Here are some reasons why the Mac Mini could be a better option than an Intel NUC for running Roon:

1. Higher performance: The Mac Mini typically offers higher performance than an Intel NUC due to the use of faster processors, more RAM, and higher-end graphics cards. This can make a significant difference in the overall performance of Roon, especially if you have a large music library or use high-resolution audio files.
  2. Better user experience: The Mac Mini is designed to work seamlessly with MacOS, providing a better overall user experience than an Intel NUC. This can make it easier to install and use Roon, as well as other software and applications.
  3. Wider range of connectivity options: The Mac Mini typically offers a wider range of connectivity options than an Intel NUC, including more USB ports, Thunderbolt ports, and built-in Ethernet. This can make it easier to connect your music sources and other devices to your Roon setup.
  4. More reliable and consistent hardware: The Mac Mini is built by Apple and is designed to work seamlessly with MacOS, ensuring a more reliable and consistent hardware experience. This can reduce the risk of hardware failures or compatibility issues, which can be frustrating and time-consuming to troubleshoot.
  5. Better resale value: Mac Minis tend to have better resale value than Intel NUCs due to their brand recognition and perceived quality. This can be an important consideration if you plan to upgrade your Roon setup in the future.

Ultimately, the choice between a Mac Mini and an Intel NUC will depend on your specific needs and preferences. While the Mac Mini may offer some advantages over an Intel NUC for running Roon, an Intel NUC may be a more affordable or customizable option that works better for your setup.

2 Likes

Yeah, just concurring with all the people who started on a Mac Mini and moved to ROCK on a NUC. No bugs by comparison. I think I’ve restarted the ROCK twice in nearly a year. I also don’t know why you need an i7. I’m using a 7th gen i3 and it’s great. I’m sure if you have more than 3000 albums that’s different, but I’m under and it goes beautifully for me. I’d upgraded to an i7 for playing games and had the i3 sitting around. It cost me AU$82 to get 8GB of RAM and a 250GB M2 module. ROCK installed easily and away it went. Haven’t looked back since.

And I asked ChatGPT without stacking the deck.
Question: Which system is better for Roon, Windows or Mac and why?
Answer: Roon is a music management and playback software that is available for both Windows and Mac operating systems. Both platforms have their pros and cons, and the choice ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs.

Windows is the most widely used operating system, so it may be more familiar to many users. Windows computers also tend to have a wider range of hardware options, which can be useful if you want to build a high-performance music server or endpoint. Additionally, some users may prefer the customization options and software compatibility that Windows offers.

On the other hand, Macs are known for their stability, security, and ease of use. Roon is designed to work seamlessly on macOS, and the software can take full advantage of the high-quality audio hardware that Apple uses in its products. Macs also have a reputation for being more reliable when it comes to audio playback, thanks to their low-latency Core Audio system.

In summary, both Windows and Mac can run Roon effectively, and the choice comes down to personal preference and hardware requirements. If you are already familiar with one of these operating systems or have specific hardware requirements, that might influence your decision. Ultimately, the most important thing is to ensure that your system meets Roon’s minimum requirements to provide the best experience.

1 Like