NUC5i7RYH SSD advise

I want to install ROCK on a NUC5i7RYH with 16GB RAM.

However I don’t have any SSD and have read in the forums that I can’t use NVMe drives, is that correct?

Is that an issue with ROCK or with the NUC?

I’m thinking I should be able to use any drive that’s listed in the compability chart, where NVMe drives are present for sure. Or should I play it safe and use 2,5" SSD? Would that affect the performance?

/Evert

A 5th generation NUC does not support NVMe, so you should use an M.2 SSD with a SATA interface instead. You don’t need to use a 2.5" drive.

Doesn’t this indicate that it does?
https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?EPMID=87570
If you look under Drives: M.2 PCIe

/Evert

PCIe is a standard that encompasses both NVMe and AHCI interfaces. AFAIK, the 5th generation NUCs only support AHCI.

However, if you use that compatibility list of Intel to pick your M.2 SSD, you should be OK.

So if it works in NUC, ROCK doesn’t care about the drive type?

Roon OS will support the M.2 SSD types that are listed as compatible with Intel NUCs.

However, Roon Labs only officially support the Intel NUC models listed on their ROCK page - and I notice that the NUC5i7RYH isn’t actually on that list. Still, looking through the forum turns up a few people who are using the NUC5i7RYH, so it should at least work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.