Reporting back in after doing the upgrade from NUC7i7BNH to NUC8i7BEH. The whole process went as smooth as possible.
- Prepare thumb drive with NUC8 bios update file
- Disassemble old NUC (m2 SSD + RAM)
- Assemble new NUC, insert thumb drive
- Connect keyboard and monitor
- Boot up new NUC, hold F7 to go straight to BIOS upgrade
- Upgrade BIOS, reboot, hold F2 to go into BIOS
- Make settings as advised by Roon
- Custom settings (disabled WiFi, BT & Thunderbolt, put fan control in “Silent” mode)
- Connect Ethernet
- Reboot into ROCK, check if everything works (needed to unauthorize old ROCK from Roon Remote)
- Shut down NUC, disconnect keyboard and display, shove it into the cabinet
- Send old NUC back to Amazon
Even without custom fan control profiling, this NUC8i7 seems to be a lot more quiet than the NUC7i7. Very happy with the upgrade.