Nucleus and Anthem STR Integrated - Making Love with 2 Great Solutions!

Guys

We are a Dealer for Roon and also Anthem and the new Anthem STR Integrated is a Piece we absolutely love but unfortunately its not Roon Ready. It does have RS232 and Ethernet so here is what I would like to propose.

I’d like if Roon could most importantly be able to Raise and Lower the Volume and Mute the STR. This would be the first step. Being able to Turn on the unit or wake it from Sleep would be a second wish and source selection as well.

We have the Nucleus Connected USB to the STR which seems to be the best way to go about this.

Can you guys recommend a simple Hardware/Software Solution to be able to accomplish this ? I assume Roon can allow Volume to an Alternate Device. What I am saying is if we pick the USB output on the STR as the Source, when we use the volume slider in Roon, I would like that volume to be able to control whatever 3rd party little divide we end up using to control the STR.

Ideas ?

Thanks
Craig
Theatermax LLC

1 Like

The Anthem STR devices have USB inputs. You can get a Raspberry Pi as a Roon endpoint. It will communicate with the Roon Core server and send a USB signal to the STR. You will have all the functionality you request.

I have an Anthem AVM-60 as my main audio device. I connect it to a Mac mini via HDMI and it works perfectly with Roon. The Pi will be smaller and less expensive than the Mac and just as good.

Kuryan

We are happy using the direct USB out of Nucleus into STR. Its working the volume in the analog domain we are after. In other words making the volume raise and lower in the Roon iPad app to the STR while we are selected on the STR. I don’t think a Raspberry pi would do this but if you think so please advise how ? Will Roon allow the Audio to stream from the Nucleus USB to the STR and be able to simultaneously be able to work the volume through lets say RS232 to the STR with the PI ?

I missed that you want to control the STR’s volume from Roon. Yeah, unfortunately that I have not been able to solve. I use the Anthem remote for that. Sorry for jumping the gun and getting your hopes up!

This isn’t exactly what you are asking for, but would something like this meet your goals? It does allow a single hardware device to control both Roon and the Anthem, but not with the Roon GUI.

It will give you some control within the Roon UI, specifically:

Automatic power on or input selection when using a transport control in Roon (assuming the appropriate device control configuration has been done via Logitech Harmony).
Access to source on / standby control in Roon UI
Incremental Volume Up/Down and Mute within Roon UI (including Ctrl+UP/Down/M)

Also allow control of Roon transport and some other functions from the Harmony Remote (Also including Roon switching everything on automatically if a user presses play for eg, and auto-pausing when everything is switched off from Harmony remote for eg).

BUT - its also needs something to host it on - a NAS or R-PI running docker for example.

You could spend a bit more and use a Control4 EA1. Once it’s up and running you can control the entire STR including volume from the C4 app on your iPad. While not ideal, once you have the EA1 up and running you’ll also be able to integrate and control a host of other AV gear, lighting, HVAC, etc…

There’s also a C4 plugin for Roon where you also get some control over the Roon UI. I personally haven’t seen it because for some unknown reason Team Roon won’t sell the integration to owners of a ROCK and C4. But it is available to Nucleus owners. There’s a thread about Nucleus and C4 here on the forum.

Good luck,
Vince

1 Like

yes… it requires an extension – I can do it, but I need the device… I’ve asked @rob, who manages our partner program, to get me one.

1 Like