Nucleus --> Aries --> DAC or Nucleus --> DAC?

Hi,
I’m a digital guy, so there are only two sources in my system, the CD transport and the streaming transport.
My CD path works perfectly but I’m not yet satisfied with the streaming result as even with HD music files the CD still sounds better.
Ok, well I originally started with an Auralic Aries G1.1 which was then connected to the amp via a separate, very good, DAC. Now I had the problem that I have come to know and love Roon and therefore no longer wanted to do without it. For this I have now invested in a Nucleus Plus with internal SSD, so that my music library is now also directly at the core and I do not have to send the files from the Aries to the Roon and then back again. The current path is now the HD files from the Roon server via wifi to the Aries then via the DAC to the amplifier.
Now I’m wondering what use I still have for the Aries and if I should rebuild the system to connect the Nucleus directly to the DAC (T+A DAC200) via USB.
Before I do that I wanted to ask the experts here in the forum if you see a problem or a potential for improvement if I remove a component with it?
Your opinions and suggestions are welcome.
greetings,
Wolfram

1 Like

Hi @Wolfram_Strohschein, this is partly a matter of faith. I have connected my Nucleus directly to my DAC with a good USB cable and it sounds just as good as with an additional separate high-priced streamer in between, I have tried it. But it may be that my DAC is the limiting factor with me.

From what I know the T+A DAC200 is an excellent DAC and I would give it a try without the Aries, and get rid of wifi.

I am glad I have one less device to use in my system, but YMMV.

3 Likes

Why not try both and see if you can hear a difference.
I am direct from nucleus to my T+A PDP3000HV and it sounds fine.

2 Likes

This would be a bigger change in my setup, because at the moment the nucleus is close at the router and I would need network connection at the hifi system, and so on and on.
That´s why I tried to ask for Your experience before trying.
Are You connecting by USB cable? I have no LAN at the DAC200 but HDMI.

Yes by USB.

2 Likes

I’d normally recommend Occam’s Razor - the fewer components in the chain the better, however… …when I was auditioning DACs recently, I was surprised (very) about how much the sound quality improved on the DCS Bartok by streaming via an Aries G1.1 versus its built-in streamer. In the end I went with a Tambaqui, which has a decent Pi-based streamer built in, but it’s still my intention to try it with an Aries, to see what difference that makes - I’ve been very impressed with what I’ve heard via the Aries.

1 Like

A T+A MP200 can act as a Roon Ready endpoint and I think it can connect to the DAC200 via the SYS IN and SYS Out proprietary T+A connections. I’d double check to make sure. But if so, this keeps you in the T+A family for the streaming.

2 Likes