Nucleus: Automatic restart after a power outage

Can a Nucleus be configured to automatically restart after a power outage?

The appropriate setting should be available in it‘s BIOS, so check out Intels BIOS Overview for Intel® NUC for instructions on how to after connecting a monitor and keyboard…

1 Like

Much like Apple’s option to do the same, with the addition of ARC, this is a much needed feature for both the Nucleus and NUC.
EDIT: This would make the Mac the preferred choice for Roon Server while traveling.

2 Likes

Another option, which isn’t very elegant, is the Echo (Alexa) “Fingerbot”:

Do you really want to do that?

My 2 cents -

1 Like

ABSOLUTELY. If you have multiple database backups, as you should, the chance of a corrupt database you can restore when you return =far= outweighs the inconvenience of losing access to ARC. If I’m on a month long trip, I’ll take the Auto restart “risk” any day. Given it would be a UI setting, you can choose to leave it defeated.

Either way, if your database was corrupted during the power outage, the restore is the same.

It should be noted this may well be part of RoonOS 2.0, and we need to check with @danny to confirm.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s true.

OTOH, if you have automatic restart you won’t know if you’ve had a power outage and should to do a Restore when you return.

Whatever works for you, of course.

This recently happened. The only reasonable assumption was that there was a power outage. Database not corrupted; the inconvenience was indescribably frustrating.

I should mention all the clocks in the house blinking confirmed there was indeed a power outage.

Having the checkbox to enable/disable this feature makes it a simple personal choice. Would I prefer to have access to ARC during that trip instead of knowing there was a power outage? Yes, a rhetorical question. Thanks for the response, and for tolerating my somewhat smart-arse responses. It’s a busy day, and I need to get on with it. Cheers.

1 Like

So my ÂŁ250 Mini PC have this feature in BIOS (Auto power on after outage) but not NUC and Nucleus??

Intel NUCs do have that capability. Any ROCK machine that runs on an Intel NUC can restart after a power outage.

2 Likes

I just discovered that. Done, tested and it works perfectly (NUC). We still need a UI setting for the many that won’t dare go near BIOS, but this solves the problem for me. Made my day!

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d be surprised if they couldn’t do that.

1 Like

@Gracjan_Deresz , I admit I feel pretty silly for not thinking/looking for this. I certainly know better. :roll_eyes:

No worries. Not everyone knows their way around BIOS, and they’re making it look better and more user-friendly each year anyway.

Thanks all for your responses. The driver for my query was a scheduled power outage. I forgot about it, came home. The Nucleus had not powered up so couldn’t be found. As it is not located in my listening room it wasn’t immediately obvious. That got me thinking about auro power on. And now I know. Thanks again

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.