Nucleus does NOT see the Mytek Stereo192 DSD DAC

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus. received today from RoonLabs.com

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Mytek DSD DAC on USB 2.0

Library Size

Description of Issue

the USB cable from the Mytek DAC is connected to the USB 3.0 socket on the Nucleus.
WHEn I go to manage audio devices, the Nucleus sees only the HDMI connections, which have no cables to them. Does this mean the the Nucleus does not support a USB 2.0 connection to a DAC. I saw nothing in the Nucleus description that indicates this problem.
I tried turning off the DAC and then on. No connection.

Please clarify precisely which model of Mytek DAC you are using.

If you are using the Stereo192 DSD DAC released in 2011, Nucleus and ROCK do not support it. It requires an obsolete driver that is not present in Roon OS.

Our Lumin U1MINI retains this driver and we have customers using this combo.

1 Like

Yes. It is the Stereo192 DSD DAC. So I guess I am SOL and have to return the Nucleus. I am not getting a new DAC at this time. I want to try out Qobuz first. And now I have to cancel the Qobuz subscription. This is not ending well.

You can still use Windows to run Roon for direct USB connection.

Windows is a noisy server. I want to get a dedicated Linux-based machine.

You can also keep the Nucleus as Roon Core, then use Roon Ready Linux-based Lumin U1MINI as an endpoint to connect to your DAC. The Nucleus and the Lumin communicate via network, then the Lumin and the Mytek communicate via USB.

That product seems to be $2100. This is all going down hill fast.

1 Like

As you already have the Nucleus and a Qobuz subscription why not try a Topping D50S at just $249 brand new shipped?

Not so hard a hit on the wallet and if still unimpressed they sell fairly quickly and easily used.

Or buy it on Amazon where you have easy returns…not really much to lose TBH.

Maybe a RPi with Ropieee as a network endpoint to connect the Mytek @spockfish Harry is this Mytek Stereo192 DSD DAC supported in your kernel?

You could also leave the Mytek connected to your existing machine for now and connect via the Roon remote running there or run Roon Bridge on the machine and the Nucleus should find it over the network.

moving this to #support:nucleus-support for you too.

2 Likes

Looks like you need a windows box then perhaps - even a very basic one just as a Roon Bridge endpoint.

Old tech just dates so fast these days…

So I just checked the list of supported devices. It still says:
"Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC

"Roon Tested device
"Roon Tested devices work over USB, HDMI, AirPlay, Google Cast, and other protocols. They have been profiled by the Roon team to ensure simple setup and effortless daily use. "

I did my due diligence. This is a problem for Roon.

I have submitted my return request to the Roon Store.

Hello @Michael_Graber,

I’m so sorry that for this long we missed on your post. Please, accept our deepest apologies :sweat:

This might come a bit too late, but, even if you have returned the Nucleus, are you still using Roon? Is there anything we can do to help? :nerd_face:

1 Like