Nucleus Dropped Off My LAN

After you install the new SSD, you have to install the Roon ROCK software. Then, after you get it going, Roon will identify it as a Roon ROCK. At that point you can notify Roon support and they can apply the software upgrade from a Roon ROCK to a Roon Nucleus. That is to compensate for the passive cooling of a Nucleus vs a Roon ROCK with a fan.

I went through the exact same thing with my Nucleus almost two years ago. My SSD failed after 2 years of use. It cost me about $29 and one hour of my time to repair it.

2 Likes

I was directed to change the SSD, nothing written about installing any new software. See my response to Jim, below. Thanks for the input.

Jim, Thanks for trying. And, thank you Sue, for your suggestion as well.

During one of the many directions I got from Roon was to plug the unit into my TV. Which I did. I kept the ethernet cable connected, as directed, and of course kept the Nucleus powered. The Nucleus was still attached to my LAN by a hot ethernet cable, but with no LAN signal going in or out of it. The signal sent to my TV by Nucleus HDMI port was ā€œRoonOS 1.0 (build 259 production,ā€ and ā€œHostname: ROCK.ā€ That is when I got the question about whether I had a ā€œrealā€ Nucleus.

When I received the recommendation to replace the SSD card, I purchased it, and installed it. Nothing was written to me about installing new software. If I had to do that, I should have lbeen told. But Iā€™m not sure how it could be done. Neither me, nor my LAN, administrator could ā€œfindā€ the Nucleus. And neither of us could access it via the web, even with the last IP address I had for the Nucleus. It was a brick with a power light.

And, of course, the Roon software on all my Apple devices could not find it so there was nothing to be using that either.

Anyway, folks, the ship has sailed on that Nucleus. Iā€™m embarrassed to talk to my LAN administrator about it anymore.

A friend of mine uses a Mac mini for his Roon server and has not issues whatsoever. And he knows if he does have an issue, he can talk to a person at Apple, for example, if the Mac mini disappears from his LAN.

You were told. The message I quoted from @benjamin contained the complete instruction steps for what you needed to do.

And it was why I suggested that you had the option of getting a computer-savvy friend or relative to do it for you.

3 Likes

Hi @Michael_Davis,

Apologies for any miscommunication, we have a fully detailed help article outlining the process of replacing the SSD of your Nuclues:

Note that youā€™ll need a USB drive for this process that you can connect to a computer, and then the Nucleus.

And here is a short video on how to replace the SSD on your device: Nucleus SSD replacement.mp4

After that, youā€™ll need to format the SSD. We have a good help article you can find here for next steps. Start from step #3 :

Essentially, youā€™ll be flashing the ROCK OS to a USB drive, and using it to boot and format the new SSD in your Nucleus.

Once youā€™ve successfully flashed ROCK onto the new SSD, keep your Nucleus online and let me know. From there, we can update you to the Nucleus OS on our end. :+1:

Iā€™ll be on standby for any questions you have in the meantime!

1 Like

Ben, Sorry to be late responding. My work history has relevance as to how I feel about this. Before I retired, I ran a large customer service organization. Also, for five years, I taught a class at a university on how to run customer service organizations. Assuming Yogi Bear (an American Icon) represents the brighter-than-average bear, I can truthfully say I know more about customer service than your average bear.

Thank you for the new instructions about what to do next. They may work, or they may not, but Iā€™m not going to find out because I quit. You may measure metrics and chalk this one down to ā€œthe customer walked away from fixing it.ā€ That way you donā€™t count as a failed attempt at customer service. But it my mind, it is a failure. Iā€™ve crossed the Rubicon with this Nucleus. Iā€™m done. You can count it however you want to count it.

I will use the Apple Mac mini for my music server.

Someone in this thread suggested they will pick up the Nucleus as he does not want it to end in a landfill. I agree, itā€™s not good for the environment. I may gift it to him.

Hi @Michael_Davis,

Thanks for the update, and Iā€™m sorry to hear youā€™ll be retiring the Nucleus.

Nonetheless, Iā€™m happy youā€™re back to your music. Happy listening! :notes:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.