Nucleus internal SSD not formatting all 4TB [250GB SSD falsely labelled]

The math isn’t working for me. At 1700 albums, your 4TB drive should be less than 1/4 full. It won’t be completely full for another 8300 albums, or more than 4 1/2 times the albums you have now. Don’t know your buying habits, but for most people that would take awhile. Longer if you start to use Tidal. In a couple of years 4TB SSDs will probably sell for $250. Without getting into the whole ‘future value of present money’ thing, SSDs will be much cheaper than what you are paying now. Save even more and buy a 4TB USB HDD for about $150.

As Danny said, 4TB of music is at the upper end of Nucleus capability. So, if you really believe that you will have 4TB of music in a couple of years and then more than that based on your projected buy rate, then you really want a Nucleus+.

If $1000 is chump change to you, then feel free to ignore. If you’re happy, I’m happy.

G[quote=“Slim_Fishguttz, post:22, topic:46436, full:true”]

The math isn’t working for me. At 1700 albums, your 4TB drive should be less than 1/4 full. It won’t be completely full for another 8300 albums, or more than 4 1/2 times the albums you have now. Don’t know your buying habits, but for most people that would take awhile. Longer if you start to use Tidal. In a couple of years 4TB SSDs will probably sell for $250. Without getting into the whole ‘future value of present money’ thing, SSDs will be much cheaper than what you are paying now. Save even more and buy a 4TB USB HDD for about $150.

As Danny said, 4TB of music is at the upper end of Nucleus capability. So, if you really believe that you will have 4TB of music in a couple of years and then more than that based on your projected buy rate, then you really want a Nucleus+.

If $1000 is chump change to you, then feel free to ignore. If you’re happy, I’m happy.
[/quote]

Keep in mind that an uncompressed flac file created by, for example, dbpoweramp, is much larger than a normal flac file (even one at 0 on the typical 0-8 settings). These are much closer in size to a WAV file.

Still overkill. The setup can be done so much cheaper.

After checking, an 8TB USB drive goes for $160.

No need to even use an SSD for music files, but whatever.

I agree. I use a 4TB USB drive to hold my music. Cheap and works perfectly.

There’s an upper limit on the capacity of an HDD that can be placed in a Nucleus (or NUC). Can’t have a drive thicker than 9.5mm, which means no more than 1TB with current tech, I believe. SSDs can go higher…

No external USB drives?

Yes, but it’s yet another bloody box and power supply. We’re trying to keep things simple here :smile:

I stand by my original exposition about the capacity of SSD needed. :sunglasses:

Yes your all right, physical space, power cords, cost effectiveness ect… I prefer to own my own physical CD’s for as long as they make them. Then when i am forced i will have to switch to an alternative method. That said, i have returned the fake 4TB drive to amazon and I am not going to keep the return they are shipping because i am pissed off at amazon, after speaking to them, Also yes, its not cost effective but i did like the idea of an internal ssd card approach. My existing synology nas is being used as a share and is working just fine for the time being, as it has a pair of 3TB hard drives. I just don’t like having 3-4 components to play music which is why i wanted to consolidate and i prefer SSD over spindle. There is no rush and i can purchase whatever storage i need when i get to the 3TB usage on the physical nas. What i am interested to know is what i get by using the nucleus Plus, so i will read about that. I still have to update the sim audio 380 Dac units (2) to version 2.0 as i understand it to use it seamlessly with the roon, and for anyone out there that was not using roon and streaming with the mind app, it broke on the last update, are we having fun yet? Lastly i know im using more space with uncompressed files with dbpoweramp and fine with it. I have been ripping my own libraries since year 2000 and it has evolved to a higher standard over the years. storage and meta data content always being the limit. After the mind app broke i realized perhaps its time to have a modern day content rich solution, so i choose Roon, A whole new world and its all good. Impressive partnership list as well. I hope to continue to grow the library and use this technology and see where i lands in a few years.

2TB spinning drive for now. 4TB in SSD.

1 Like

No power supply needed for the 4TB WD Passport drives; small & USB powered. £95 or less here in the UK.

Is the Nucleus’ Thunderbolt port likely to be operational any time soon ? I will be moving from Mac mini to Nucleus+ soon and have all my music stored on Western Digital 4/8tb Thunderbolt Duo drives so it would really simplify the changeover

~M~

Don’t hold your breath. Intel’s drivers were still pretty bad last I checked about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for the update , I’ll do it the long way then :wink: never had a problem with thunderbolt into my Mac mini though so it would be nice if this happened eventually . If ssd prices continue to drop I may try an internal drive and just back up regularly

M

Not sure whether this has been replied but that’s not correct. The 4TB Samsung SSD Phil_G’s using is 7mm high and 2.5" , that’s the current limit of what’s possible in internal SSD. Really shouldn’t be an issue for Roon to come up with a taller case to allow larger SSD’s to be used?

thanks, it was an ordeal with getting a fake disc, but all is good now

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.