Nucleus One Storage Options

I am planning to buy a Nucleus one and want to pick up internal storage for it. I have a music collection of about 6 TB and FLAC format.

This internal SSD looks to be a good choice. Can you confirm that it will fit and work well with my large collection?

SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 8TB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

Thanks,
Russ

PS - does this unit come with a free year of subscription?

How many tracks would that be?

And…

Nothing about that has been stated. Given it’s price point, I’d guess not but who knows?

At this price point, I don’t expect it will come with a year subscription. From what I’ve been reading the Nucleus One can hold up to an 8 tb SSD. But more importantly, as @Rugby already asked, how many tracks are there in your library. As the Nucleus One is rated for a maximum of 100.000 tracks.

By my reckoning, 6TB is about 70,000 to 80,000 albums (CDs) in 44.1kHz/16bit FLAC files - so well in excess of the 100,000 tracks upper library size recommendation of the Nucleus One.

Of course, 6TB could also be about 11,000 to 12,250 192kHz/24bit FLAC albums - but again this is likely to be in excess of the 100,000 tracks limit.

So it would seem that only if you go to really high sampling rates (352.8kHz and above) for the majority of albums would it appear to be sensible to have 6TBytes or more of internal storage on a Nucleus One.

Maybe @Russell_Rubman1 should be looking at a Titan - or even a performance PC/MAC to run his Roon Server.

There are about 53,000 albums and a mix of 16 and 24 bit. All well in excess of the prescribed limit.
I didn’t realize there was a hard stop on the number of tracks it could process as I just assumed the number was for reference only.
I have a server ststem already but was hoping to make a simple and inexpensive upgrade to SSD and the Roon server

I don’t think it is necessarily a hard stop. It may be that:

• With the amount of memory installed, larger libraries may (depending on use) cause server crashes due to lack of memory (but that would depend upon how you used Roon - tagging, playlists, search etc).

• With libraries over this limit, Roon can’t rely on the Nucleus One offering the performance that the user might expect.

Edit: For Roon’s statements see the specifications for the Nucleus One and the Titan at the bottom of the page at:

https://roon.app/en/nucleus

1 Like

Incidentally, with respect to storage requirements, the bit depth is not such a big factor as the sampling rate. Going from 16bit to 24 adds approximately 50% to the storage requirement for a track. Going from 44.1kS/s to 88.2kS/s doubles the storage requirement and going from 44.1kS/s to 192kS/s requires 4.3 times the storage.

So the difference in storage between 44.1kS/s 16 bit and 192kS/s 24 bit is 4.3x1.5=6.5 times the storage for each track.

Caviat: The figures may not be exactly correct because of the (lossless) compression used in FLAC files - but it is a reasonable estimate.

1 Like

Your FLAC storage calculations in this thread and another recent one are off by a significant percentage.

A FLAC general rule of thumb is 200-300 MB per 16 bit 44.1 kHz album. That extrapolates to 3000-4000 albums per TB. A charitable estimate, then, is 6 TB could hold 25,000-30,000 albums, well below 70,000-80,000.

AJ

1 Like

Sorry, you are right about my poor estimate. in the earlier thread I mis-remembered an earlier calculation and then remembered the incorrect figure here.

However, even 25,000 albums is well above the upper library size recommended by Roon for the Nucleus One.

1 Like

even at 10 tracks per album of “normal” 5 mins that’s one hell of a library. Half a million tracks + ?. Estimated 13 Tb HDD space . If it still existed the Nucleus Plus would struggle with that load, we have no info yet if the Titan would cope.

That would be in Roon’s top 10 biggest users I reckon.

You would probably be much better off getting a conventional desktop with the biggest processor you can find and stick in 32 Gb of RAM, 4 x 4Tb HDD , then hide it in a cupboard.

1 Like

i am constantly amazed by users with these massive LOCAL libraries.

I have 1300 CDs ripped, and that constitutes my local library. (Yeah, a handful of downloaded albums, but most are ripped CDs.) All ripped to 44/16 FLAC, and it’s hardly 1TB.

The rest of my library is Tidal/Qobuz, which doesn’t exist locally, but it is reflected in my roon database. Streaming + local is approximately 5000 albums and 68,000 tracks.

Question for me is: Do those Qobuz/Tidal tracks count toward that hypothetical 100,000-track limit?

I’m guessing that it should, as the computer needs to manage all the tracks, regardless of where they’re located.

At the very least in part - although they won’t be subject to the frequently discussed performance penalty caused by having lots of unidentified albums or 1000 tracks in one folder.

Exactly, the cross-referenced metadata like credits must be maintained and traversed for streaming tracks as well

A file in your library real or virtual still has the same metadata, so any processing will include all files.

Local files may have lots of “super groomed” metadata but not included in Roon’s db

If you have added them to your library they count.