Nucleus Power Supply Poll

Simple question. Who chooses to use the supplied SMPS with their Nucleus. Who chooses to use an alternative?

• Supplied SMPS
  • An alternative PSU.

0 voters

2 Likes

I actually have several LMPS (HDPlex 200W) with multiple outputs that I use for several other devices. best of all of removed 3-4 other other SMPS’s from the room and associated power points.

2 Likes

This is going to be heavily biased towards people who replaced it because they are much more likely to bother

4 Likes

Can NUC based ROCK users vote or is this exclusive to Nucleus users? Hardware is extremely similar.

Unless you have a device which is electrically identical to a rev A or B Nucleus (like I do) then I would stick to the parameters of the poll. It was inspired by the Nucleus PSU topic so perhaps it should stick to that.
@Suedkiez I try not to read anything into the result. It is just numbers to see what the proportions are.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to say that you will, just that it will be skewed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Should there be a third option: I don’t use a Nucleus?

a power supply on the server, does not, cannot and will not make any difference to the bits received by your network streamer or DAC. That is a fact, cold, hard and final. Spending money on an updated power supply for a nucleus is like fitting audiophile feet to your sofa!

14 Likes

Do you know where they sell those, just asking for a friend :joy:

12 Likes

DFS I think… it’s the furniture leg of DCS

2 Likes

hopefully, the poll will bother who really cares.

Yeah, and the people who don’t bother with silly power supplies on computers don’t care by definition. So naturally the replacers will dominate and the result means nothing

3 Likes

Yes, I think you are right.

I think the answer depends on HOW you connect your Roon core to the device you’re playing to.

If your DAC is connected to the core over USB, then I would expect that the power supply matters - a linear supply might be better. I experienced this when I connected my then USB DAC to my mac mini over USB.

However, I don’t find a performance difference when my core is serving my DAC over Ethernet.

3 Likes

The Mac Mini is a noisy one, you can achieve a much better solution by having a USB isolator like a Gustard U12.

2 Likes

Probably. I wouldn’t connect a DAC directly in the first place :slight_smile:

Very true. I have both an Uptone USB-Regen and a Wyred4Sound USB-Remedy (or whatever it is called). I did get the impression that using one of these and the linear supply was best.

However, better than all that was to use a microRendu and stream over Roon RAAT. And even better than that was to do Roon → HQPlayer → HQP NAA to the microRendu, though the latter solution requires installing HQPlayer, and dealing with a little more fragility than Roon over RAAT.

BTW… I don’t use that anymore as my dCS Rossini Apex is RoonReady. I do still use the microRendu to my headphone DAC/amp.

PS: I should sell some of the crap I have accumulated and don’t use!!!

2 Likes

It doesn’t

1 Like

In my experience it does. If you connect your DAC over USB to your core, it depends how electrically noisy your USB source is. Some DACs do an excellent job isolating themselves from this electrical noise, others not so much.

4 Likes

I think proper noise isolation is a basic requirement for any electronic component. Those that do not adequately do this could arguably be classified as defective.

2 Likes