Nucleus/ROCK alternative - opinions please

Thanks - some very helpful comments and suggestions. Has anyone actually got the set up as in the original post?

I run Roon on one of these and installed ROCK on it myself in less than 10mins I was up and running. Runs brilliantly for over 18 months.

Thanks - that’s really helpful. What do you need to run ROCK? Once up and running, are you able to adjust DSP via Macbok/Ipad etc? Does it run hot as I usually leave my main hifi permanently on -to avoid the on-surge -and my kit lasts…my last major change in hifi was 16 years ago…so like to buy well first time if I can.

Basically just a “decent” NUC, please see the “What hardware does ROCK run on?” section in
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Depending on your library size and DSP requirements a modern (7th or 8th Gen) i3 or i5 might be sufficient, with a 8th Generation i7 you will be on the save side as this is the CPU used in the Nucleus+.
Ofcourse it is not compulsary to go for a “fanless” solution but it is very convenient at least if your NUC is placed close to your listening position.

I am not using any DSP but yes

My fanless Cirrus Nimbini is permanently on and just lukewarm (but I am not using any DSP)

Thank you for answering some of the specific questions -much appreciated.

They look like standard NUC components assembled inside Akasa fanless cases. There are multiple members here with Akasa fanless setups (do a search) - so in terms of functionally equivalent setup instead of purchasing from this company, yes. I have not done the math, but with a DIY build the cost may be lower.

That looks very nice - how much did it cost? (site doesn’t appear to have pricing)

£525 when I got it 18 months ago price shows up when you choose the configuration. It’s prebuilt on order not sure if they are still operating ATM dye to Covid thiugh They custom mill the case themselves and all parts have a long guarantee. All you do is then decided on OS for them to install . Choose none if installing ROCK. You don’t need to change any bios settings either. Plug in USB with ROCK installer and your off.

Thank you all for your help and comments.